Northern Saskatchewan 2011 - Companions


A junco that shared meals with me.  She would march right up to me if I was not forthcoming fast enough with bannock crumbs, as if to say "Where's MY food?".

A young snowshoe hare.  He's trembling, scared of this large blundering so-and-so that surprised him in his hiding place.  One of the adults was a voyeur, often watching me when I had a shower.

This mother spruce grouse was acting injured to lure me away from her young.  Her family were little balls of feathers running in all directions when I stumbled into their midst.  The mother flew directly at me, hitting me in the chest in a very pointed statement to leave them alone.  This is the third time ever that I have been "attacked" and hit by a mother grouse.


I had two families of grouse that often visited me when they were on their feeding rounds.  One family of five and one of seven.  The mothers would be constantly talking in a low cooing voice to let the children know where she was.  If I remained still they would come quite close.