Northern Saskatchewan 2012 - More Shelter



This year I had strong winds in May that prompted me to cut a trail about 100 metres from lakeshore into a sheltered area of bush at this particular campsite.  I always carry a small round-mouth shovel, for which I cut a handle on the spot, to dig a firepit in the sandy ground in order to have a safe campfire.  The 10'x12' tarp, with squares of duct tape placed where the poles hold it up, make for a great shelter from sun and rain.  I get teased about how much duct tape I use, but it really is the perfect solution in many instances.













I was forced to choose this spot as the best of what was available in an area through which I was traveling.  The ground is blackened because of forest fire, but cutting some spruce boughs from a nearby muskeg makes for comfortable mats at the tent entrance and under the tarp.  My campsite was about 200 metres from the lakeshore in order to be protected from wind.  I felled some of the dead pine trees in order to help prevent getting a tree blowing down on the tent, especially undesirable if I am in it.  I am holding one of three bannocks just prepared to be baked at the campfire.  I am rather tired after a lot of portaging, and the tarp is providing welcome shade on a very hot day.  My canvas tent is not very elegant with a tarp placed directly on it, but it is over 30 years old and the roof would otherwise leak if it rains or snows.






 
  



An example of a camp spot that may not look very promising from the lake or river side.  But with some investigation an open spot inland provides an excellent sheltered site.  Of course I may have to stop several times before finding a "good" site.  I usually regret camping too close to an exposed shoreline when the weather turns to wind, rain or snow.  I've never really had a "bad" site, but just like people some are better than others.