Central Saskatchewan 2026 Camp 4 (June 9 - 11)

Canoe parked on June 9 at camp 4 on a small island in the north arm of Clam Lake.  Have only travelled four km from previous camp because of strong headwind.  The only suitable spot to land is in this one place beside a dead tree floating in the water.  I have to walk along the trunk to reach shore, cutting off some branches in the way.  To unload requires removing one pack at a time to dry land on the steep slope.




There are no stones to be found so I dig a firepit.  It takes some cutting of roots, peeling them back so no ends are left in the firepit.  When I leave camp I will refill the hole which will soon grow in again.



The filleted fish is buried in damp moss to preserve until supper.  Using the bailer I soak the moss to help keep it cool.  Sticks placed on top will indicate if an animal has disturbed the 'fridge'.  The plump 18 inch walleye was donated thanks to Michael and Josh at my breakfast spot.



Sunglasses donated to me after recounting that I had lost my only pair of sunglasses.  Many thanks to Michael and Josh for their kind gift.  After never using a spare I omitted them this year; will not make that mistake again!



Early morning June 11 strong wind in threatening sky makes for a very unpleasant exposed campsite on the narrow island so I decide to move.




After placing some gear in the bow I shove the canoe out along the floating tree to finish loading.


June 11 at 12:08.  As I leave the look back up the steep slope where the canoe was parked at camp 4.



**********************
Summary:
Although there is a strong west headwind I decide to move on from camp 3, even if only just one km to the next big island where Steven and I camped in 1990 according to notes on my map.  At my breakfast stop, thankful for gift from Michael and Josh from a nearby cottage of sunglasses and a nice walleye.  Battling strong headwind I move on only managing to go four km from previous campsite, lucky to find camp 4 but another difficult landing.  No stones for fireplace I dig a firepit.  In spite of strong wind and continuing rain which make for uncomfortable camp decide to leave anyway.


June 9:
Up at 05:00 at camp 3 to check weather I dress in two shirts against the cool temperature.  It rained heavy again during the night so tent and Tarp shelter are wet.  Although there is a strong west headwind I decide to move on even if only just one km to the next big island where Steven and I camped in 1990.  From my journal: "Isle on map marked in 1990 as excellent site.  Also marked 'lots of cottages'.  Thankfully new leases were stopped by then."  By the time I pack the usual prepack gear (not done yesterday) the tent is almost dry in the wind.  When ready to down the Tarp to cover the canoe load it too is reasonably dry.  Away by 08:30, a late start, it is hard paddling but finally reach the target.  From my journal: "Am thinking will camp here, much more sheltered than previous site.  No evidence of campers.  No fireplace.  As I eat breakfast two motorboats arrive and stop in my little bay to fish.  The one boat is within talking distance manned by Matthew and Josh, flown in to a nearby cottage.  Amazingly they are from Airdrie where I live.  Ask if I could buy sunglasses from them but they have no extra.  They confirm good walleye fishing here.  Grinning, I say if no sunglasses could they give me a walleye.  A few minutes later they have an 18 inch walleye, move closer to shore and hand it to me in their net.  A much welcome gift.  No more fishing needed this week."  After filleting the fish, the two boats leave as I am ready to move on, rather than camp.  I circle my island on the more leeward side to head up the north arm of Clam Lake.  As I pass near a cottage, a motorboat with Michael and Josh pulls up behind me.  They had returned to the cottage and found extra sunglasses.  Back to where we originally met they realize I left but soon find me to donate the glasses.  How thoughtful!  After thanking them again we part ways and I progress past their cottage.  Strong wind and biggish waves make me decide to camp on one of the several green islands if possible.  After eyeballing two I target the island that becomes camp 4, only four km from the previous camp.  Above the shore near one end of the small island there is some open bush of large tall spruce trees.  The only suitable spot to land is the only one I see amongst all the thick brush along shore, a narrow opening beside a large fallen tree in the lake, but up a steep slope.  Fortunately the one side of the tree has fewer branches where I paddle along it as far as possible.  From my journal: "Step 'carefully' onto the tree trunk using spare paddle as a pole in the water.  Step onto 'shore', one foot through what proves to be floating debris into water over top of boot.  And it was just starting to really dry out!  Aie!  On solid land pull canoe farther in to begin unloading.  Unpack tools to trim shore tree branches that obstruct my path.  Saw off a part of an alder branch rubbing against canoe.  Thankfully the base of the alder and its main trunk are good foothold and handhold for moving on/off canoe.  Don't want to end up falling into water!  Change into a dry sock on shore.  Now wear mismatched pair."  I eat late lunch sitting in some shade on a down tree amongst very tall well spaced spruce, some 12 inches or more in diameter.  Around the more open area of where I will camp there are thick stands of small balsam fir and spruce.  I pick some fireweed tops to eat with lunch.  Walking to the far shore which is getting the full effect of the strong wind it too is steep but rocky.  From my journal: "Lucky to find the one open sloping access, a welcome message.  Thank you!"  After burying the walleye in thick shaded stair-step moss to keep cool I must finish unloading the canoe.  Fetching the barrels is tricky and a bit hard to do.  Pulling the canoe up the steep 45° slope the bow remains almost in the water.  Thankfully once the surface debris is brushed aside near shore the water is 24 inches deep and clear.  I cannot find any stones for a fireplace, just well seated boulders on the other shore.  Erecting tent I toss in sleep gear and stow other gear in the rear vestibule.  After setting up the Tarp shelter I dig a trench for fireplace using shovel (with birch handle cut on site), pruners and axe.  It is just wide enough to support the grill with extra space at each end.  It takes some cutting of roots, peeling them back so no ends are left in the firepit.  (When I leave camp I will refill the hole which will soon grow in again.)  After boiling water I cook the now cubed fish (five minutes at vigorous boil) and make chowder for supper.  Mmm good!  There is no place to bathe and I have no inclination so have a hot wash of important parts using the foldable plastic basin.  Retiring to tent, after laying out gear and performing ablutions, to bed by 21:00.  From my journal: "The thick moss base under the tent was level.  But underneath there are boulders and stones into which the bed sinks at uneven angles.  Soon move the bed to the middle of the tent to a 'better' spot and hope for the best.  Aie!"


June 10:
Up at 06:45, 17°C, completely overcast, intermittent light rain during the night and looks like more.  I slept well after rearranging my bed.  Warmth of fire feels good as I eat breakfast.  The Kitchen Barrel has only one week of grub remaining so I transfer some from the two heavy barrels which will make them lighter and hopefully easier to handle.  From my journal: "Large black sawyer beetle with its antennae longer than the body flies with its whirring noise to land on my shirt. I flick it a metre away.  It crawls back to me up onto my shirt so I flick it away again.  As I have seen happen before, it walks back to me a third time so I flick it away once more.  It crawls back up my leg but after flicking it away seems to have remained away this time."  The day remains cool, warming to 18°C, raining a bit at supper.  Strong west wind rattles the tent and Tarp shelter, making the trees talk as they sway so I imagine there are big waves.  As I prepack, out loud I ask for a good travel day tomorrow with a favourable wind if possible, no rain until reaching the next camp.  Wind blows all night.


June 11:
Up at 03:30 in pajamas I step outside to check weather.  Completely overcast, it is a cool 10°C, drizzling rain now and intermittently all night, everything damp even feeling damp in the tent.  After strong west wind all day yesterday, it is still blowing cold.  This site is quite exposed and if possible I do not want to spend another day.  From my journal: "Back to bed.  Up at 05:00 to check again.  Back to bed.  Up half hour later.  Get dressed and do ablutions.  Two shirts on.  Pack up sleep gear and place in rear vestibule as usual when leaving.  Take floor tarp outside to shake off debris.  Starts to rain.  Really damp now.  Wind has shifted from yesterday's W to E; camp feels more exposed than ever.  POI.  Place Personal Pack and Waist Pack back in tent.  At least now have clean floor tarp.  Retrieve some gear from Miscellaneous Pack.  Haven't unpacked most gear yet.  Will wait a bit to see if can leave.  Better to make progress on my route little by little I suppose.  A more sheltered campsite would be nice too.  I'm heading NWN so strong E wind will still be tough to paddle.  I can hope to get to mainland shore as much as possible for some protection ... if I can even leave.  Long underwear would feel good this morn.  Hot water with breakfast would be nice.  Checked previously below the slope towards shore to see if better protected.  Somewhat.  Could have a fire there.  And put up small tarp?  Large Tarp is being buffeted badly in wind.  In the tent add hat and rain jacket to the two shirts for warmth.  Zip up tent windows to within 12" from top.  [09:00] Cold breakfast done.  Finish a puzzle.  17°C in tent.  Bit of sun breaks through.  Yay!  [09:40] Two more puzzles done.  Go outside to check weather.  Still strong wind.  Decide to leave anyway even though it is already past midday!"