Northern Saskatchewan 2014 - Tools and More


Crossword and Sudoku puzzles are usually done at mealtimes.  Meals are much more restful in the bush, none of the distractions of the Outside.



I carry one large paperback novel per month to read on my weekly rest day, usually Sunday.  This year, I read Jean M Auel's six Earth's Children™ Series books.



The top rifle is a .30-06; the bottom gun is an over/under rifle/shotgun .22 LR/20 gauge.  The rifle is loaded at all times with four cartridges in the magazine, none in the chamber until required.  The O/U gun is single shot and is never loaded until needed.  With a slug at short range up to 30 metres, the shotgun is capable against bear.  In areas travelled in Northern Saskatchewan, I have had several encounters with bears, so started carrying the two guns.  On portages, I typically leave one gun at each end of the portage about 30 yards from my gear so that if a bear is at the gear, I have access to the gun.

This year I added a can of bear spray for close protection.  I even take the bear spray to my shower, and otherwise wear it at all times.  The spray needs to be instantly available if a bear is at close range, where there may not be time to use a gun accurately, especially if surprised.  The spray does not need that level of precision, and is easier to use.  In fairness to bears, I have yet to have felt personally threatened by a bear.  Unfortunately I cannot say the same for my gear which definitely makes me apprehensive about a subsequent encounter.

Interestingly, I have felt uneasy with a rutting bull moose, and a cow moose who had just dropped her calf in the spring.  Both made "charges", but were bluffs to scare me away.  The usual advice applies as for bears; do not get too close; make yourself look big and visible by standing and spreading arms above head but do not act aggressively; do not point or look in the eye (an aggressive act); talk loudly and calmly to the animal; back away if the moose stands its ground; if attacked go for the eyes.  The one difference between moose and bear strategy is to run if directly attacked by a moose and hope you have a tree to dodge around; a moose is unlikely to chase, but running will encourage a bear to do so.  Remember, the most dangerous situation by far is not in the bush but in your motor vehicle on the trip to go canoeing.

The first time I took the bear spray to my shower, I forgot it, leaving it hanging on a tree overnight.  A squirrel chewed the belt because of the salt from perspiration.  That is when I realized the belt was not solid leather.  It took me a while to get comfortable wearing the spray all the time, but now I am as uncomfortable without as I am without a vehicle seat belt.





My Tool Bag contains a 24 inch bow saw with spare blades and bolts, 26 inch axe, axe-file, brush cutter shears and small pruning saw.  This is the first year that I have carried the small saw for backup because last year my bow saw broke after many years of use.  After wearing out several types of pruning shears over the years, the Felco™ brand works best for small trees and brush.  The Estwing™ axe is all steel, so very sturdy.  These tools are a must for creating or clearing portage trails, and for gathering and sawing stove-wood.  The kit also includes a small steel round-mouth shovel for digging firepits and placing coals on the Dutch oven; a handle is cut locally for the shovel.



An important part of my tool kit is unlined leather mitts.    These are Canadian-made Klondike™ brand mitts, the ones on the left worn out after many hours of use.   They are essential for using the above tools and for handling hot cookware and the hot stove.

Some small tools that I use: binoculars, Multi-Tool and Utility Bag.
The latter two plus the Bear Spray are carried on my belt.  Key tools within the Multi-Tool that I use frequently are the sharp blade, the wood saw when hiking and the pliers.  The Utility Bag contains a BIC™ Lighter, a watch to help keep track of date, pocketknife for cleaning small game, lip balm and emergency firestarter.

I wear this Emergency Belt Bag when canoeing or hiking away from camp.  It contains emergency gear waterproofed in multiple plastic Ziploc™ bags in case I am ever stranded with nothing else.  The bag also contains my SPOT™ Satellite GPS Messenger device which would allow me to send a distress signal for Search and Rescue services.