Central Saskatchewan 2018 Camp 27 (Aug 7-8)


The sunrise at camp 26 on August 7 at 6:25 and 6:35 am highlights the presence of forest fire smoke, even though I can not yet smell it.  Mosquitoes are very bothersome as I break camp.


Gorgeous sunrise filtering through cloud and forest fire smoke at 5:25 am on the second day.



Camp is made on an island after travelling 10 km with one long portage of 1180 metres.  Thanks to Michael, Erik, Todd and Lance, a party of four canoeists met on the previous portage, for advising me of the location of this campsite.  The fireplace is directly beside a large ant colony, but I do not bother them, they do not bother me.  If possible, I prefer to camp on a small island like this, not close to shore, in order to lessen the chances of a bear encounter.


I have caught 2 pans-full of pike each non-travel day for supper.  Being in my third month of canoeing my appetite is huge.  Sometimes I do save some of the fried fish in the cooler in a moss "fridge" for the following day.

Typically I  try fishing from shore at camp as soon as I arise, before breakfast, which often produces a catch that a later attempt will not.  If possible I prefer to catch fish at camp so I do not have to use the canoe.  There are some disadvantages in doing so, namely the chance of snagging the hook and having to launch the canoe anyway to retrieve it, and the need to clean the fish closer to camp.  However, the advantages usually outweigh the disadvantages.


As I catch the fish I bury them under the moss to keep them cool.

Filleted pike before removing the Y-bones.



Wasps this time of year are busy and really like to take away a meal of fish.

Filleted and deboned fish in Ziploc® bags to be stored in a cooler in the moss until suppertime.

Filleting knives by Rapala® (which includes Normark), and Lansky Tactical Blademedic® Sharpener, are excellent companions.  The latter is easy to use and produces a sharp edge.

Two frypans full of fried pike for supper.