East Central Saskatchewan 2018 Camp 21 (Jul 25-26)

At camp 20 on July 25, I am up to Wilson at 3:30 am by candlelight in the canvas tent.  It is still raining after doing so all night!  Aie!  However, by 4 am the rain stops and the weather remains clear for the next two days.  Temperature is 10℃ and there is a tailwind.  It feels cool, and if not paddling, I would need more clothes.  Because I am camped at the lower end of the 100 metre portage at camp 20, it does not take long to carry the gear to the next lake.  The lower ends of the next two portages are as expected under water with all the rainfall.  Blackflies are bothersome so I use a hat scarf.  As I move, so too moves the scarf to keep the bugs away from my face.  The rock faces on the portages are quite slippery so have to be careful of my footing.  At the middle 100 metre portage, I am able to push the canoe close enough to shore in the shallow water covering the trail to step out onto soggy but firm ground.  But at the third and final 100 metre portage I can only get to within 10 metres of shore.  The grassy trail is visible and firm under about 10 cm of water so I remove boots, socks and jeans and step out of the canoe to pull it close enough to dry land to get dressed again.  It is time for lunch and the blackflies are bothersome so I start a small fire near the upper end of the portage.

The afternoon becomes quite sunny but remains cool with a moderate north wind.  After travelling 14 km, including three 100 metre portages, I reach previous camp 1.  I set up the canvas tent in order for it to dry, the bottom areas quite damp.



Beautiful morning shows a clear sky at 5:35 am.  





There are six pine mushrooms at camp which I pick and store unwashed in a birch bark cylinder to help foil theft by red squirrels.  After washing and dicing the mushrooms, they are lightly fried and seasoned with lemon pepper spice.  Very tasty.


Blueberries and a few unripe lingonberries, also very tasty.


Sunrise at 5:05 am on July 27 as I get ready to canoe the last 3 km to my vehicle.

Thanks to Harvey and Elaine for providing a safe and secure place to park for the past two months.