East Central Saskatchewan 2018 Camp 4 (Jun 10-11)

Pine trees girdled by beavers.


Canoeing down this long lake on June 10 after leaving camp 3, I reach a point that requires proper orienteering to hit the narrows leading forward.  That channel is hidden by two islands and two peninsulas that would be trial and error to hit without map and compass.


Paddling against a strong side wind, there are signs on both shores of last year's forest fire.  I check three islands but they prove to be unsuitable campsites. Ahead on the main shore there appears to be a possible spot just beside a burned area.  But it has a steep rocky shoreline being bashed by the wind-driven waves.



Luckily there is a fallen pine tree "dock" that provides a partially protected landing spot.  Without it, landing would have been too hazardous.



After checking that there are suitable tent and fireplace sites, I unload gear beside a well travelled game trail.  I have canoed 24 km, a long haul on flat water with a strong headwind for much of the day.


Before clearing.
To get to the campsite requires traversing a jumble of down trees and roots, so I cut out the offenders.  It is not worth the safety risk to try hauling heavy gear and the canoe where I may fall.
After clearing.


Many of the sites where I camp have woodland caribou droppings, appropriately here on top of the very reindeer lichen they eat.



Baking a cinnamon bannock in the Dutch oven.  The terrain up to camp traverses a steep 45° slope.  Halfway up, there is a large boulder well placed on lots of flat stones behind which I build a fireplace.  The bothersome blackflies are shooed away by the smoke after I start a fire.  There has been significant rain since I camped, thunderstorms rolling through several times both nights, encouraging the bugs.  The "horse" flies are biting, even through two shirts.

Pileated woodpeckers sound their loud laughing call, as they do at most campsites.  A wood-boring beetle is munching away in a dead tree beside camp.  There are lots of crows cawing and I think they have nests close by.



At a level spot near the hilltop I find locations for tarp shelter and tent.  Frustratingly when it comes time to erect the tent I cannot find the site I had scouted upon landing.  I usually put the tent up right after stowing canoe and select gear, and burying coolers in a moss "fridge".  From my journal: "Buried coolers in moss.  Then couldn't find the tent site I had scouted.  Aie ... should have flagged it!  (I now carry three pieces of fluorescent orange flagging tape in my belt Utility Bag.)  I tromped over a 50 metre long stretch and couldn't find the spot!  Aie!  I took a 'break' and built the fireplace.   Back to gear on top and walk right onto the tent site.  It was right there all along.  Thought it was farther away.  Aie!"

In bed at 9:50 pm, weary and tired.  I now am quite sure my sore neck is from paddling.  The soreness is lessening as I get used to the exercise.


Flocks of Canada geese like this one pass overhead all day long migrating north, sounding their typical loud honking calls.