East Central Saskatchewan 2018 Camp 11 (Jun 28-29)

Dark ominous clouds at 5:25 am at camp 10 on June 28.  The grey sky remains all day.  It rained lightly a few times during the night, including just before arising at 3:30 am.  Mosquitoes are quite bothersome as I break camp and have a cold breakfast.  Starting off with a light tailwind, I make amazing time as the wind strengthens to moderate, to strong, to very strong.  There is light rain during the last two km of travel.  At 9:30 am, after canoeing 13 km, I arrive at the island where I stashed my Clipper canoe last September.  I give thanks to the rain and wind gods.  There is only a little bit of water in the Grumman, and I think that is just from the last stretch when I got hit with a few big waves from the quartering wind.  It is amazing that the patch adequately seals the canoe.


Securing the Grumman canoe, I anxiously walk up the trail to where I parked the Clipper.  Yeah, it is still there and appears to be untouched and unharmed.  I am still smiling much later.  I move the Clipper off the tent site.  It rains on and off all day.  I make camp in the rain, but I am still smiling.



Alumroot leaves and flowers are edible.



Dock leaves, flowers and seeds are also edible.


Salad of fireweed, dock flowers, a few mint tops and alumroot flowers.



On the second day, after rain clouds move through, a beautiful rainbow appears at 6 pm, stretching right across the horizon.  The wind switches to the opposite direction and would be a strong tailwind if  I were travelling today.