Central Saskatchewan 2018 Camp 31 (Aug 16-18)





Sunrise at camp 30 on August 16, 5:15 (top) - 5:40.  There is heavy fog and dew, the tent fly and the tarp soaking wet.  Temperature has cooled to a nice 8℃ on this gorgeous, gorgeous day.



After breaking camp, the uneven ground where the tent (top) and tarp shelter were located.  Note the piles of trees removed to clear the sites.


The loaded canoe at camp 30 sitting on the old beaver lodge where the painter rope prevents the canoe from sliding into the lake.  The lodge slopes like a boat launch to the lake.


Stopping at the steep "green" island near camp for breakfast, I pick three servings of lingonberries.













Returning a slightly different route to my old camp 29, I proceed through a channel that the map indicates is open.  But the channel is blocked by a strip of "land" overgrown with sweet gale brush and grass.  Taking this route saves me two km of travel, but I have to portage across 50 metres of soggy ground at the right side edge.  After drying my jeans and boots yesterday, they are soaked again.


When I get through the channel into the main body of the lake, I see a motorboat with two men from the fly-in fishing lodge.  Having not talked to anybody for several weeks, I canoe up to the boat and ask to approach.  Dave and son Brad are with a party of eight from California staying at the lodge.  They kindly catch two pike for my supper from this "sweet" spot, which I wish I had known about a few days ago when it took so long to get four fish.  Later they stop at my camp and graciously give me several granola-type bars.  The conversation and gifts are much appreciated!

On the second day, Brian and Candy, the owners of the fishing lodge, stop in their motorboat at my camp.  They take me to their place for a sit-down meal at supper with their guests.  The food and conversation are much appreciated.  Awesome!  To top it off, Candy packs a box of food for me.  Opening it at camp is like opening a Christmas present.  Awesome!  Brian gives me some "Amazing GOOP®" sealant to patch the hole in my boot.  Awesome!  I was planning to leave the next day, but decide to stay a third day to dry the boot patch and to feast on the box of food.
"Amazing GOOP®" sealant patches a hole in my boot.  It ably holds firm for the remainder of the trip and keeps the water out.  The hole started three years ago when I dropped a log on the new boot.  The hole has grown to one cm diameter so I plug it first with a piece of cloth, and progressively add five layers of the sealant.  Impressive, it will be included in my Repair Kit.  It would probably have been good to seal the aluminum canoe hole.