Northern Saskatchewan 2019 Camp 10 (Jun 26-27)

June 26 at 8.55 a.m., very cloudy view from camp 9 before moving on at 11 a.m.



View down the very long lake, quite cloudy with light intermittent rainfall.  As I paddle, I take note that there do not appear to be many likely "good" campsites, the lake being bordered by lots of black spruce and steep shoreline.  Interestingly, I do spot two possible sites but not at any special places such as points or peninsulas.  Stopping at the point of a long jutting peninsula, I walk inland to see if this is where Adam's cabin is, following a winter trail.  Having confirmed the location, I canoe along the peninsula to find a campsite.





After passing not one but three of Adam's cabins, I canoe farther along shore about 200 metres to an area that proves to be an excellent campsite, breeze-swept and open, relatively free of bugs compared to camp 9.  The cabins, mainly used in winter I think, are not mosquito-proof and have lots of mice sign, but I do use the newest cabin as a place to eat some meals, update my journal and do some mending.  Sitting at a table is a very nice change.  I leave a note thanking Adam and his family.  There is a good growth of fireweed which I pick for several supper salads.  (I met Adam and some of his family one winter many years ago when I was winter camping near the road.)





Camp 10, seven km from previous camp, just lake travel to the midpoint of the very long lake.  Note the small "dock" that I made in order to fetch water without getting boots very wet.



June 26 at 5 p.m., view from camp looking down the lake, still very dark clouds.  It rains very heavy at supper time, at bedtime and during the night.



July 27, at 9 a.m., quite dark clouds remain, but the morning is rain free, mosquitoes very bothersome for awhile.  After a refreshing bath, I eat lunch in the cabin, warming up with my thick fleece sweater and dry socks.  There is a ruffed grouse and a snowshoe hare at camp.  I am seeing ruffed grouse farther north each year.  It has been a nice respite here, glad I moved on yesterday.


July 27, at 6:55 p.m., some sunshine with whiter clouds, temperature rising to 19℃.  Planning to leave early tomorrow, I pre-pack.