Northern Saskatchewan 2019 Camp 19 (Jul 19-20)

Video of a portion of the very very rocky 1200 metre trail between 'unnamed lake 8' and 'unnamed lake 6', prompting me more than once to remind myself out loud "short steps ... be careful ... don't hurry" as I carry heavy loads.  Luckily the rain held off during the portage, the trail is bad enough without also being slippery.


Video of  the 40 metre steep hill on the above trail where I repeat the same cautionary mantra.



The landing on 'unnamed lake 6', with an incoming wind making loading the canoe more challenging.  It has been awhile since all seven loads have been together in the canoe.  The previous inbound camp is on the opposite end of this one km lake.  Because of the strong headwind, the threat of rain and a likely campsite at hand, I decide to camp just down the lakeshore about 500 metres.  Hoping the "good" campsite proves to be so, when I land it is an excellent spot.  Ironically I camp where on the way in I said I would like to but probably would not.



There are many interesting stones on the shores of 'unnamed lake 6'.





Three nice lake trout for supper with oriental noodles and Parmesan cheese, fireweed salad and hot water.  From my journal: "Hungry! ... mmm ... good!  Really really good!".  There are two big meals of fish.  'Unnamed lake 6' has a unique slate-grey appearance, clear, deep and cold, with no weeds or plants in most of the water.  I remark that it would be good for lake trout, but think I will catch some pike around the lakeshore.  The first fish caught is the smallest, just offshore with a red and white spoon.  After trolling all around the lake, I use a diving lure that runs deep with a long line and quickly catch the next two trout.

I have an unfortunate incident just before catching the last two trout.  From my journal: "I almost didn't catch the last two fish.  I let too much line out trolling and the line all came off reel!  Aie!  The gods were good to me.  The wind was light and helped take me back to line.  I paddled and was able to grab line still floating on water!  Wrapped once around wrist and then tried to tie line back on reel ... and tried ... and tried ... and finally got it!  Yeah.  Reeled line in.  Of course line isn't through any rod guides so I just have the lowest pole section and hold line with one hand as it comes onto reel.  I'm amazed that I got line, leader and lure back.  So I cut line from leader, rethread through guides and retie leader and attach hook.  And then ... the line breaks near reel!  Aie!  Still don't lose anything.  Rethread line and repeat.  Seems OK.  After that I trolled mid-lake as much line as I could safely let out."



A rock fireplace, with some smoky punky wood to shoo bothersome blackflies.  It is impossible to dig a fireplace in the stony ground, the disadvantage being I now have to carry water from the lake to extinguish the fire.



July 20, a video of camp 19 on 'unnamed lake 6' at a beautiful site, the likes of which I have never seen before.  Camp 19 is four km from the previous camp, including two portages (380, 1200 metres).

From my journal, after a glorious refreshing bath "I doctored my foot.  Not to jinx it, but it is feeling better."  The antibacterial ointment on the side of the toe and powder at the base seems to help ... or at least do no harm.