Northern Saskatchewan 2019 Camp 15 (Jul 10-11)




July 10 at Camp 14, 4℃, up at 3 a.m. with heavy cloud and thick fog.  A warming fire feels good as I eat a cold breakfast with hot water.

The fog limits visibility to about 100 metres, and stays with me through two of seven portage carries to the next long lake.  This is great weather for portaging, cool, few bugs.  Stopping at 11 a.m. there are no good spots to land, so I tie the canoe to a log in the water for lunch, somewhat sheltered from a nice tailwind in the lee of a small point.  I even chance a daring manoeuvre and pee from the canoe by standing one foot perched on the log.  (Note that I usually pee into the bailer while sitting as it is hard, no pun intended, to pee over the side of the canoe while standing, not to mention unsafe.)











Camp 15 is at previous camp 10, having travelled 13 km including the 950 metre portage.  I spend a restful two days, eating most meals in Adam's cabin taking advantage of a table and stool.  Weather is good, horseflies are very bothersome.  It is a nice break to do some mending, rest my sore foot and catch several pike for meals, canoeing an extra four km.

From my daily SPOT™ messages, my contacts will already know that I have turned back from the intended route.  Because I have decided to return to my start point, I use the satellite phone to ask Jeanette to contact Dave to see if he would be willing to arrange a ride for me back to my vehicle sometime around September 21.  Until then my plan is to spend time checking out other routes.





A chipmunk nearby while I am eating lunch.  I always enjoy watching these pretty little guys.