Central Saskatchewan 2021 Camp 11 (Jun 22 - 23)

Sunrise in a mostly clear sky, 04:02 June 22 at camp 10.

06:54 just before leaving camp 10, sky now full of stratocumulus clouds with their distinctive appearance like lumpy rows of cotton balls, hopefully the tail end of the previous bad weather, not the front of another system.




 On the next lake after a 150 metre portage, which for a nice change did not need any clearing.



Reflections of birch tree skeletons on the lake surface.




An island, one of several new spots I explore as I paddle up the lake to find a campsite less likely to be frequented by black bears.  This island would be a hard luck camp, the best site being above the rockface, very exposed, up a steep slope far from water.


After checking multiple locations on mainland, having come this far, I paddle to the upper end of the lake to check and clear the next portage.  First though I eat my lunch at noon, with a pile of flat stones as a seat and a small fire to shoo blackflies.  The trail starts where the canoe is parked.



The next portage is 220 metres long and requires one hour to clear about 30 down trees, thankfully mostly small to moderate in size.



The larger tree across the portage near the upper end, too big and elevated to easily saw, so I cut off all the branches above the trail to allow ducking underneath with loads, getting a face full of sawdust in payment.


The photos below show evidence of a variety of other animals than me that use the trail.

Moose pellets, winter droppings.  From my journal: "Because there is no fodder on the portage, the moose had to be travelling from the eating ground, probably from the regrowth burned area across the end of the lake.  Maybe moose are like people, eat, get some exercise and then bathroom."



Mink? scat.



Otter scat, with the scales of fish eaten, and torn up ground.



Black bear scat from earlier in the spring.


Hummock near end of portage on which a red squirrel perches to eat spruce cone seeds.








Giving up on finding an alternate, I return to last year's camp on mainland which is an excellent one except it is where last year a bear took my Food Pack containing one week supply.  I would have preferred to find another location.  It is seven km from the previous camp (including the 150 metre portage) but I travelled an extra seven km searching for better, plus paddling to the next portage to clear it.  The canoe and tied barrels are in the spot where the pack was taken last year, about 100 metres from camp.



**********************
Summary:
Distance travelled seven km (including 150 metre portage), but paddle an extra seven km searching for a campsite and clearing the next portage.  With no luck finding a better location I retreat to the old camp spot where a bear took my Food Pack last year.  Striking stratocumulus clouds with their distinctive appearance like lumpy rows of cotton balls.


June 22:
Up by 03:00 at camp 10 to breakfast in the Tent because mosquitoes are bothersome.  With high water levels, I paddle through a narrows where in the past I have had to strip then walk the canoe through the boulders.  The 150 metre portage to the next lake is easy, no clearing required, not looking like anyone has been through since myself last year, except moose and bears.  The day starts off calm, then a moderate tailwind so I make good time up the lake.  Canoeing all the way around the largest island on the lake, I pick the most likely camp spot and land to check it out.  I have great hopes, having canoed past at a distance before, but find that it would be a hard luck camp.  The shore itself is quite steep and then walking up the steep long hill, there are a few level places for a tent but very exposed to wind.  I think I have now checked all the islands but one closer to the lower end of the lake.  Not giving up, I canoe across the lake where there is some exposed rock shore areas, looking promising from a distance but all unsuitable.  Having come this far I decide to continue on to clear the next portage, and to check for campsites there too.  Again no useful sites, not steep but much soft wet muskeg.  After a quick walk up the trail, it is time for lunch back at the landing, with a small fire to shoo blackflies.  There are about 30 fallen spruce trees from winter snow, taking one hour to clear.  I even walk through the bush along the shore at the upper end of the portage to look across to an island in the river, but I can see that it is small with very few trees for shelter.  Back to the canoe, I finally give in and head to my old campsite which is a nice spot, and appears to be the only decent one on this lake, but is where a bear took my Food Pack last year.  I had really hoped the island would be suitable.  Now I have to retreat three km against a strong headwind all the way in penance for going out of my way, having travelled an extra seven km searching for a new campsite.  Out of principal I hate to go backwards, but at least the next portage is ready.  Remembering to check for dangerous trees before I erect the tent, I find that I do not have to cut any more dead brittle aspens than those already felled previously.  Camp is up, firepit dug and water on to boil before a heavy thunderstorm arrives pushing a very strong gusty wind.  From my journal: "At times I hold Tarp shelter upwards with both hands as it gets pitched violently up and down onto my head.  Would have been comically entertaining if someone was watching.  Would have made quite the video."  The storm blows through in about half hour and the wind subsides.  Supper done, I head to the tent while I can, in bed by 19:30, giving thanks for being able to make camp before the rain.  It rains heavily throughout the night.  Distance travelled to the new camp is seven km (including the 150 metre portage), but an extra seven km checking for a campsite plus going to the next portage to clear it, so a total paddled of 14 km.


June 23:
Up by 04:30, cool windy 12°C, damp, very dark clouds, looking like more rain after pouring throughout the night, so I erect the canvas Tent to which I move all the gear from nylon tent.  Warming up to 21°C, I decide to bake bannock at the firepit.  Mosquitoes were quite bothersome while putting up the Tent so when I move to the Tarp shelter I start a mosquito coil before closing up the Tent.  Thinking I would have to prepare food in the Bug Tent, mosquitoes thin out so I work outside.  The fireplace uses the readily available dry poplar, emanating a lovely odour, but burning quickly.  I decide not to install stove or saw stovewood, but will do so if the weather changes; it is good so far except for the strong wind.  After lunch I go for a one hour walk in the interface between poplar and spruce bush but do not put up any grouse.  Sweaty now, I think to have a bath but with the very strong cooling wind I no longer feel inspired.  By supper time, even though the wind is gusting worse than ever, surprisingly there are still some mosquitoes, in sync with the sky clouding up dark again.  Before rainfall, I pack the nylon tent, Tarp shelter and tools after filling in the firepit with the shovel except for one corner which I can finish tomorrow morning using a big stick, before moving on weather permitting.  After a hot water basin wash I retire to the Tent to finish pre-packing.  While packing, I realize I do not have the small vice grips that I use to grab the Dutch oven lid when covered with hot coals.  Aie!  Careless, I must have dropped them at the Tarp shelter.  So donning my boots, no clothes on, out I go to luckily find the pliers where I had washed dishes under the Tarp when it was raining.  Then I have to track down three mosquitoes that come inside with me.  Blackflies always come in on clothes, but unless I am sweating they usually do not bother me, choosing to lodge in the Tent peak trying to get back outside so I leave them alone.  Ready for bed, I work on a puzzle but by 19:40 I am nodding off, time for bed.  It has been raining heavily but stops soon and by morning the Tent is dry after a restful sleep.