Central Saskatchewan 2021 Camp 27 (Aug 13 - 14)

August 13, 09:37, the target isle for camp 27 in sight.  And yay, it  is a beacon of green, looks well forested, unlike almost all of the surroundings recovering from decade old wildfire.




August 14 (05:06, 05:20, 05:40) beautiful rosy sunrise under heavy cloud cover, smoke evident at all horizons along with smoke smell.


August 14, 07:48, camp 27 island on return after fishing 1/2 km away.


Looking back at the islands where I caught fish for supper.  Cloudier now than when I arose, the altostratus formation is impressive, perhaps foreboding a change in weather.



**********************
Summary:
Not sleeping well, throat dry and sore, probably from smoke.  Fourth heat wave.  Committed to returning home a month early, I eat extra food.  Val's donated margarine is a welcome spread on hot bannock.  Wind dying, a short easy trip three km to the target island for a much improved camp 27, a good place to dry gear.


August 13:
Up by 04:30 at camp 26, I do not pack sleep gear yet, thinking I might stay but wanting to go.  "Everything is soaking wet from heavy dew and early morning fog, including tent roof and Tarp.  Grass soaking wet.  Realize this would not be a nice spot in rainy weather.  Tall grass has to be walked through to fetch wood.  No place to erect canvas Tent.  So not staying.  Cool and damp 12°C, first need to start a warming fire for breakfast.  Red sunrise, foggy, some cloud, light west wind, the very strong gale gone, smoke evident at all horizons.  What a difference staying one more day at camp 25 would have made.  Aie!  C'est la vie."  I eat breakfast first thing before doing anything else, hot water and extra bacon crumbles and Parmesan cheese.  Pack tent, the fly wet not just on the outside but underneath soaked too, same with Tarp shelter.  Soon on my way, I make good time, no evidence of a group of canoes I thought I saw in the distance yesterday just before retreating from paddling any farther; perhaps it was my imagination.  All the mainland and islands in sight are recovering from old wildfire, many bare skeletons still standing.

Approaching the target island, I pass eight pelicans floating in the lake.  The island is much larger than yesterday's camp location, and is well forested with jack pine and spruce.  Landing, I check to make sure there are nylon tent and Tarp shelter locations.  They are well protected on three sides, not so on the west from where the wind has blown for the last few weeks.  The Tarp spot will do for canvas Tent if necessary but would require removal of a stump and at least one tree.  I initiate the SPOT™ at 09:50, after the short three km trip, glad to be at a better campsite.  With Val's donation, I want hot bannock with lots of margarine!  But first I unload the canoe, carrying gear to the tent spot, placing some gear under the canoe, the remainder to the bare rock at the top of the steep hill to lay out to dry.  Spreading out the Tarp, I realize it was a mistake to store it in the Miscellaneous duffle bag, making everything else in it damp or wet.  When the Tarp is dry I lay it out in the designated location to make sure it will fit so I could erect it quickly if rain arrives.  The tent needs to be up as soon as possible to dry.  I lay out sleep gear inside to air and dry too.  There are two very exposed old fireplaces that appear not to have been used this year.  I build a new better sheltered fireplace to which I shovel some ashes from the oldest to be able to level pots on the sloped rock.  Water on to boil, I make fresh bannock, eating half spread with a quarter of the donated margarine.  Mmm ... good, not as good as butter, but much appreciated.  It is a gorgeous day, 23°C, blue sky with mostly white cumulus, still just a light wind.  After lunch and other chores done, I have a much needed bath, chilled, falling asleep in the sun, the pen slipping from my hand as I nap in the chair.  Taking stock of the now possible additional food, intended for the fourth month, how much extra is dependent on when I can return to my vehicle.  Supper at 17:00, I do eat extra sardines and Parmesan cheese.  A sleek brown mink runs along shore in front of me after the meal.  In bed by 20:30, I do not sleep well, my throat dry, afraid it is from smoke.  Aie!


August 14 Saturday:
In canoe to paddle about ½ km to an island where I think there might be a good spot for walleye in the current of the Churchill River, I do get a 14 incher and a 16 inch pike.  I return to camp by 07:30 after arising at still dark 04:30, now over 1½ hours later than in the spring.  The eastern horizon had a bit of blue sky with a red sunrise through smoke haze, but the rest of the sky ominous dark cloud, even more so on return to camp.  Baking another fresh bannock, I again eat half with another quarter of the margarine.  By noon some of the cloud clears to let the sun shine through and it is hot, calm, humid and uncomfortable even in shade.  The cooling effect of a cold bath does not last long.  Clearing up, now it does not look like rain.  My throat is dry and sore and I am drinking lots of LifeStraw® water.  Little flies are quite bothersome.  By midafternoon, temperature rises to 30°C, smoke at all horizons, seems to be another heatwave, the fourth, and I have another bath.  Aie! ... I thought, or hoped, that we were done with heatwaves.  Prepacking some gear, I had planned to get as far as the alternate portage to the lake of my trip's origin, but with this heat will be satisfied to get past the next rapids that I have to paddle up.  Unfortunately the alternate portage is two km long, steep and often muddy.  However, the trail I took in the spring may be burning so I do not wish to chance going the extra distance to reach it, only to then retreat.  Checking for messages after supper, late Saturday, Jeanette has already sent a text: "OK. Still fire near first portage. No new 4u. Maybe rain Mon Tue. Lower temps after. J."  It seems like Jeanette is confirming there is another heat wave.  Too hot for pajamas, I fall asleep on the cotton sheet over the sleeping bag at an early 19:30 bedtime.