Central Saskatchewan 2021 Camp 8 (Jun 16)




Camp 8 is only one km from previous camp but I am glad to be in a more sheltered spot, a nook protected by steep banks on three sides.  The spruce trees here are huge and I sit out of the rain beneath the branches of the biggest one to eat breakfast before I unload canoe.



Sitting on spruce boughs under the Tarp shelter, there are dozens of the usual small spiders that live in the branches, some crawling under my shirt.



**********************
Summary:
Happy to move camp a short one km to a more protected site.  Spruce bough spiders crawl all over me.  Very (but not very very) strong wind now from the opposite direction.


June 16:
Up before the 03:00 alarm, I dreamt lots last night, maybe because it was so windy all night.  The sky is grey and ominous looking, but the wind has died to light and it has started to rain a bit, no surprise.  Breaking camp without breakfast, I just want to get to the next small island that I think will provide more protection having checked it a few years before, hopefully it cannot be any worse.  It is only one km away and fortunately the wind remains light until I land but the rainfall is now steady.  The wind has increased in intensity, now from the opposite direction, which would affect the previous site again if it keeps getting stronger (which it does).  Still I am glad to be away from the exposed camp 7.  Hoping for the sky to miraculously clear and rain to stop I take the Rubber Pack under a gigantic spruce tree about one metre diameter, I think the largest on the island.  Sitting mostly out of the rain under the overhanging branches I eat breakfast with LifeStraw® filtered water, in the company of bothersome mosquitoes and blackflies.  This small island was home and birthplace of two local Cree, Sceezix and Hazel, both now in their eighties still flying in to their cabins elsewhere each summer.  I have already noted the requirements for a decent campsite - locations for the nylon tent, Tarp shelter, fireplace, but not sure about a spot for the canvas Tent.  The shore where I landed is low and shallow, not easy to collect drinking water but I assume I will find a spot without having to push the canoe out, difficult to do in the rising onshore wind.  (I do find a place to fill bailer and large pot with water.)  Close to where I sit, there is a sheltered nook rising slightly from the flatter grassy main part of the island, surrounded by steep banks on three sides and many large mature spruce trees, plus smaller spruce and some birch.  Many of the trees have spreading branches all the way to the ground.  There is lots of fireweed and prickly rose petals, plus plants still growing as part of the homestead garden (rhubarb, chives, gooseberry).  Still raining and blowing, I decide to camp.  The first task after breakfast is to fetch and erect the Tarp shelter from the canoe which remains covered by the medium tarp.  Then I empty the canoe, storing camp gear under the Tarp shelter, the remainder beneath the canoe pulled up on shore far enough on the long grass to be safe from wind-blown waves.  The two heavy barrels are placed beside birch trees near the canoe, to be tied later.  Next I fetch stones for a fireplace in front of the shelter, and start water to boil.  Finding stones is more difficult than expected, having to range at least 200 metres away.  Nearby there is a good supply of birchbark tinder and firewood, large branches and knots from an old large down spruce.  Surprised to see how early it is, I initiate a SPOT signal at 08:30; my contacts will see that I have moved a very short distance.  Now I can put up the nylon tent behind the shelter, first lopping off overhanging branches and filling holes with moss.

By noon, my stomach is growling, time for lunch of ¼ cold bannock, almonds, cheese, two protein bars, vitamins, hot water.  The sky is very dark with ominous looking clouds, thunder, now very strong wind, intermittent rain.  I give thanks, happy that the new campsite is better protected, glad that I made the move.  Sitting on spruce branches under the Tarp shelter, spiders from the freshly cut boughs are crawling over me, some under my shirt, all the same species I think but of varying sizes, beige in colour except for the white abdomen.  After eating, I locate a spot if need be for the canvas Tent and stove.  By supper time, it has not rained since morning but the wind continues very (but not very very) strong.  Supper includes a salad of fireweed tops, rose petals, chives and one dandelion flower.