Getting Ready for Next Season

From a collection of photographs by CW Mathers taken in northern Canada between 1893 and 1905.  Portaging is never easy, and I imagine these men were tired and contemplating yet another carry.

Pencil sketch by Jeanette, my wife, 1978.

In addition to updating this blog, revising my checklists, mapping a route, organizing transportation and parking, repairing and replacing gear, and purchasing and packing grub for next season, I try to stay in reasonable shape to be ready to canoe, portage and camp.

Above are two pictures hanging on my wall that I focus on while doing exercises.  Before breakfast every other day, I do 1½ hours of calisthenics and weights plus a ¾ walk of three km; on alternate days a 1½ hour walk of six km.  I have performed some such regimen so long that it has become habit.  As time has progressed, on my body's objection, I have switched from running to walking and alternating type of exercise.



After a walk on 10 February 2019, at home near Calgary.  Temperature was -30℃ with windchill of -42℃.  I am wearing several layers of clothing.  Temperature where I canoed this past season was -37℃ with windchill of -47℃.  A few days ago, northern Saskatchewan had a temperature of -45.7℃, not a record low but darn cold.

The same temperatures and windchill with similar frosty coating tends to occur every year about the same time.