Why?

I am often asked why I go off on my own in remote areas far from anywhere.
Ever since I can remember, I have loved to explore.
It is nourishment for body and soul.
I find it impossible to look at a map of remote areas and not dream.
What is on the other side of the hill, the river, the lake?
Wilderness provides ...
- clean air, pure water, fresh food for the taking
- big vistas of beautiful landscapes, waterways and sky
- clear, clear night sky packed full of stars
- awesome sights, sounds and smells in the natural world around me
- sound without noise
- the ability to step in places untouched by man
- the resources required to live comfortably
- lots of natural exercise
- the capability to provide all needs for myself
- the honing of senses and skills underutilized in the modern world
- simplicity, the peace of solitude
- the enjoyment of things taken for granted on the Outside - hot water, a bath, warm fire, a hearty appetite for basic food, a change of clean clothes, a comfortable bed after a tiring day, reading a good novel, the satisfaction of doing something from start to finish on my own, shelter from wind, rain, sun, snow, cold, bugs
**********************************
I’ve watched the big, husky sun wallow
   In crimson and gold, and grow dim,
Till the moon set the pearly peaks gleaming,
   And the stars tumbled out, neck and crop;
And I’ve thought that I surely was dreaming,
   With the peace o’ the world piled on top.

The freshness, the freedom, the farness--
   O God! how I’m stuck on it all.
There's a land--oh, it beckons and beckons,
   And I want to go back--and I will.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
   It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
   It's the stillness that fills me with peace.
- From "The Spell of the Yukon" by Robert Service, 1907


This poem symbolizes my love for the remote northern areas that are always on my mind.  The words bring a lump to my throat every time I read them.