Central Saskatchewan 2020 Camp 12e (Jul 7)

After starting at the 1150 metre mark where my trail ended on July 6 (above), the photos below represent another 130 metres of cutting and clearing on July 7, slow progress compared to the previous two days.



After cutting many spruce and birch trees and a few alders, finally reach the tall blackened tree whose height was one of my compass bearing landmarks.




Continue cutting more dense bush to take the trail to the mess of down trees that I reached yesterday when I explored ahead.


Back at the fireplace near unnamed lake 10 for lunch.  Two pretty butterflies, black with white wing bands, sit on my wet shirt, attracted to the sweat.  I see this species every year at this time.


On my return to the cabin, I stop on an island to fell and limb 18 dry spruce poles for firewood.



**********************
Summary:
A beautiful hot but sweaty day.  Improve the first section of long portage.  Advance the trail another 130 metres through very thick bush, reaching the edge of the heavy fire-down section walked ahead to yesterday.  On the way back to cabin, fetch more firewood poles in motorboat.


July 7:
Up by 4 a.m., I have breakfast in camp today.  Before closing the cabin, I ignite a piece of mosquito coil which will burn for about 30 minutes, emitting smoke containing the chemical allethrin to kill mosquitoes; I always carry some of this insecticide for use in the (now cached) canvas Tent, so am glad I brought it along.  A five cm strip of coil is adequate to clear the 8'x 10' tent; in the cabin I use an eight cm piece.  Even though the cabin is holey, I can at least attempt to reduce mosquito numbers temporarily.  It is a beautiful day, hot, mostly sunny, rising to at least 25°C.  By the time I finish cutting trail today, both shirts are sweat-soaked, as well as undershorts and jeans, waist to crotch.  My boots are soaked because of wet bog, starting first thing in the morning with the landing where the canoe is parked.  On the walk of the first 1150 metres of trail, I spend quite a bit of time improving it with additional blazes and pruning small trees to make the trail more obvious in either direction.  When carrying heavy loads, head often bowed, my vision not as far reaching, it is frustrating to mistakenly walk off the trail and have to backtrack.  I also place more logs at big step-ups, another difficult place where it is easy to get stuck in midstride partway up or down a steep spot, possibly stumbling or even falling.  Upon reaching the end of yesterday's path, the bush becomes quite thick; when cut, the stumps are like toothpicks sticking up in places.  Getting to the edge of the heavy fire-down area walked to yesterday, I have only cut 130 metres, a far cry from the previous two days.  Unless I can get around the worst, it will be a big job to clear a path.  Looking ahead in the distance, I can see the other high side of the target river valley ... at least I hope the other side; if it is this side that does not bode well for an easy descent to the river.  Today I mostly use the bow saw and the pruner, the latter to cut the many small pine, birch and alder up to thumb diameter size, the saw for larger pine and birch, some six inches diameter.  I have to remove the little stuff first in order to be able to wield the saw.  Before returning to the canoe, I mark another GPS waypoint.  Starting a fire for lunch to shoo blackflies, I can finally remove headnet and sweat-soaked shirts, bandana and hat to hang over dead trees to dry.  After stopping, the wet clothing feels clammy so it feels good to put on a dry shirt.  By the time I get to the motorboat, the clothes are almost dry, having also draped over packs in the canoe while crossing the two unnamed lakes.  It is necessary to wear the headnet and neck bandana from the time I leave the boat in the morning until the lunch fire, then again back to the boat, leaving them on until getting onto the big lake well away from shore.  The onshore wind is only moderate today so getting away from the landing with the boat is not too difficult.  Then I drink most of the one litre of canteen water, finishing it when I reach an unburned island to fetch 18 firewood poles.  Because I get leg cramps while in the boat, I know I did not drink enough today, nothing until lunch.  Getting back to camp at 4:30 p.m., much later than expected, I throw the poles on shore to sit until tomorrow.  After unloading gear and shaking off wood debris, I clear the remainder from the boat, better to clean now before it gets wet with rain.  Hanging all my work clothes on the outside line, I wear nothing except my "Crocs™" rubber shoes, which I usually only wear for bathing in the lake, so I can set the boots in the sun to dry a bit.  After getting fireplace started to boil more water, placing nicely dry sleep gear hung in cabin all day into the tent, getting supper food ready, finally I can have a glorious bath.  From my journal: "Oh man, how I needed that bath! Get a few horse fly bites drawing blood. Ouch, they hurt! Dress in 'sweats' and slip on unlaced boots to manage cooking supper outside."  At 7:30 p.m. I am weary so get ready for bed and am asleep by 8 p.m.; at 27°C in the cabin I start the night laying on a bedsheet on the sleeping bag wearing no clothes.  Sleep well.