Central Saskatchewan 2020 Camp 12g (Jul 9)

After starting at the 1300 metre mark where my trail ended on July 8 (above), the photos below represent another 460 metres of cutting and clearing on July 9.





The trail across the bog of the little valley, some of the watery holes filled with logs and brush so I do not sink over the top of my boots (unless standing in one place too long).
 

A big boulder requires a matching big step up and down with forward momentum for heavy loads, plus pivoting to go between two big trees, especially important when portaging the long canoe.




Some of the large logs to step over on the trail, guided by blazes on a few trees.



My own "White Rock" up the slope of jack pines to the right of the trail.



Thick Labrador tea on deep moss makes for laboured walking.  Many of the blazes were done yesterday when discovering the route.




A few of the areas of very dense pine with some spruce, birch and alder that entail much use of pruner and bow saw.  The last photo, once the trail is cut, has a view of the target river.  This portion has many large logs that require stepping over, tiring when carrying heavy loads.  Lots of smaller fire-down trees have been cleared from here too.



**********************
Summary:
Cut 460 metres of trail, far enough to see the target river, total distance now 1760 metres.  Prepare the next campsite for when canoeing resumes.  I cohabit cabin with annoying squirrels.


July 9:
Up by 4 a.m. to a red sky, 17°C in cabin, moderate wind and very cloudy all day, but despite the rosy sunrise no rain.  ("Red sky in morning, sailor take warning" has proved true many times this year.)  There is annoying scratching and rustling noise in the attached woodshed from a family of red squirrels who have a nest there.  Today I cut 460 metres of trail, reaching far enough to see the target river, the total portage distance to date being 1760 metres.  Eighty metres of bog across the valley floor requires several watery holes to be filled with brush and logs, enough that I can make my way across in a fairly straight line without going over the top of my boots provided I keep moving.  I think there is about 200 metres left to cut to reach the river.  A few blackflies bite one forearm as they manage to crawl up inside my shirt, buggers.  Relief comes at my usual lunch fire where I can remove the bandana and headnet.  There are a few holes needing sewing in camp, a rip in the bandana and holes worn in the toes of two socks.  The cloud cover encourages the blackflies and prevents my sweat soaked shirts from drying.  On the way back to the boat, on unnamed lake 9.6, I stop at my 2018 campsite to prepare it for the day I start canoeing again.  There are new growth trees to pull or fell at the tent and Tarp shelter sites, firewood to collect and the "fridge" to make ready.  Because there is no moss in the burn, I clean the hole previously dug in the stones near the lake and cover with freshly cut short spruce trees; the hole is water filled so I place two stones to raise the floor which will elevate the coolers.  Getting back to camp later than expected, supper is late at 5:30 p.m., but I am pleased with the work accomplished today.  After eating, I finish chores: wash dishes, gather drying clothes, saw firewood, sharpen axe, sew bandana and two socks, record GPS reading, update journal.  Today the clothes hung on the outside line do not fully dry but at least are less damp.  Banging on the wall in the woodshed manages to help quiet the squirrels; thank goodness they sleep at night, not like flying squirrels which are active in the dark.  Weary and tired, in bed by 8 p.m., I reposition the sleep gear to prevent rolling down the sloping cabin floor like I did last night.