Central Saskatchewan 2020 Camp 12h (Jul 10)

5:10 a.m. July 10 before leaving to cut the last part of the trail, mostly clear sky, calm, half moon still visible.

On overturning the canoe at the eight metre portage, there is a tiny frog inside that takes some chasing to safely set free.

Beautiful day heading up unnamed lake 9.6, mist rising from the surface.




 

Heavy dew highlights all the thousands of cobwebs along the portage to unnamed lake 10.


After starting at the 1760 metre mark where my trail ended yesterday (above), the photos below represent the last 100 metres of cutting on July 10 through very thick bush, mostly jack pine.


Two views of the slope to the upper end of the portage, the first down toward the river, the second back up the same location.  The big log across the trail (closest in the bottom photo) is too high to step over easily carrying a load, but with care and some gyrations I think it will be possible except perhaps with the canoe.

Looking up the hill over a vertical rock face drop, too big a step when carrying gear.  I will have to remove loads at the top of the rock, then climb down to lower them.

The steep hill down to the river.  Note that I have sawed the limbs flush with the trunk of the big log so as not to snag packs or clothes.  To protect from falling to the left of the 45° slope off the cliff, I pile all the many trees cut from the trail above.


The view up the steep hill showing the trees stacked at the side.  I have to zigzag on the slope to safely walk up or down, my own small version of switchbacks.

A medium size spruce tree with bottom limbs removed and two blazes (front and side) to mark the trail from the river.


My trusty tools, and the two belt bags containing frequently used items plus emergency gear.


One last gaze at the river before heading back to the canoe for lunch.  There is a promising campsite on the shore across the near bay (which as often the case looks much better from a distance than it proves to be).



**********************
Summary:
Cut 100 metres through thick bush to complete the portage for a total distance of 1860 metres, the last portion being a steep rock face.  The long trail has taken seven days of work, meeting my estimate.  Damage boat motor.  Do a much needed laundry.  Look forward to two days rest.


July 10 Friday:
The day starts with a mostly clear blue sky, calm, 15°C rising later to 22°C, calm and stays so until 5 p.m. when it becomes very cloudy, with strong gusty winds, thunderstorm, lightning, heavy rain lasting all night until 7 a.m. tomorrow morning.  From my journal: "Up by 4 a.m. to a cold breakfast.  Was going to make a hot cinnamon bannock but just want to get the trail finished.  After chores, light a mosquito coil in cabin before leaving.  Finish cutting portage by 10:30 a.m. ... yay!  The last portion is 100 metres, so the total distance is 1860 metres; at least it's less than two km.  This section is really thick, lots of cutting with saw and pruner.  At first I was worried about a possible steep abrupt drop-off of ten metres shown by the contour lines on the map.  There is a vertical cliff but when I get to 'my' location there seems to be a way down through a bit of a dip.  There are 'steps' down the rockface right to a medium size spruce tree which proves to be close to the compass bearing target I drew on the map.  The entire route is certainly not direct, lots of zigzag, certainly not straight like a cutline, favouring easier walking and less cutting.  At the steep drop-off, I pile all the felled trees and brush, mostly pine, to form a safety 'net' beside the trail.  As usual I wear headnet and neck bandana all day except for lunch.  Wouldn't you know it though, the last time using the motorboat at the eight metre portage, I back the prop into rocks under the water.  Stopping the motor, I raise it again and paddle to safety.  This is the only time I have backed up and turned left so obviously better to turn the opposite direction.  On return to camp I check the propeller which seems to be okay.  [Later when backing up the motor chatters at any speed, not a good sign.  Initially Brian thinks the reverse gear has a broken tooth, an expensive charge for me, but later determines that the problem is related to the connecting mechanism which he can repair.  I realize that I should have been backing up farther into deeper water before turning, even if it means into strong waves and shipping water.  The other important caution I learn is that I should not wear gloves when launching as I cannot push the kill button quickly enough (inset into the steering arm).  Perhaps if I had stopped the motor faster, the problem would have been avoided altogether.  Aie!  I certainly do appreciate Brian's calm understanding and cannot thank him enough for his support.]  Back to camp by 2:30 p.m., I have extra time so do a load of laundry (two shirts, three pairs heavy socks, sweat socks, undershorts).  My ankles are itchy and red, reacting to sweaty socks worn too long without washing.  [I usually do not change to clean socks unless I have the opportunity to wash the dirty ones.]  Hang laundry outside, but soon a storm advances, so take the clothes down to hang in the cabin.  Have much needed bath after laundry as dark dark clouds advance with lightning at the horizon.  Time supper just right, adding cheese to macaroni, my celebratory meal, just before rain hits at 5 p.m., continuing all night.  When I got home, I hung hat, long shirt, jeans, belt outside, but they are far from dry, so hopefully can do tomorrow.  When I saw Brian two days ago to fill the gas tank, I said would need three days to finish the trail (ie, one more day), followed by a rest day, so hopefully I will not leave till Monday, taking two rest days.  As estimated, I do take seven days to complete the long trail; my project on time, even if over budget.  Will go Sunday to arrange return of boat and a ride to the canoe at about 10 a.m. on Monday if that is okay with Brian.  Only have to canoe half km and the camp is already prepared, so do not need my usual very early start.  Have set aside some birchbark to take as there is none at the next camp.  'My' squirrels are quite at home with me, even if annoying.  Record last GPS reading, almost bang on compass bearing, as was trail at unnamed lake 10, in spite of the zigzag trail; the gods were with me.  Start listing chores in my journal that I need to do in preparation to leave the cabin.  Today's chores done, I do a crossword and sudoku.  Weary and tired, in bed by 8 p.m., to the squirrels scratching and fidgeting a lot.  Sleep well, the new bed position is much better."