Central Saskatchewan 2020 Camp 9 (Jun 23-25)

Beautiful rosy sunrise, 3:45 a.m. June 23 at camp 8, hopefully not a sign of impending rain.

4:50 a.m. wearing my bandana as a "hat scarf" to help shoo the bothersome mosquitoes as I eat breakfast after loading the canoe.

My bandaged hand where the skin along the thumb invariably splits after several weeks of exposure of first camping, even though I massage "O'Keeffe's® Working Hands Cream" along my finger tips before every bedtime.  After about one month my hands toughen up.


June 23 at 5:40 a.m. clear sky and very bright sunshine, soon after leaving camp 8.

 
Approaching the 150 metre portage along a creek emptying into the next lake.









Canoeing down the next lake with white stratus clouds overhead, shoreline trees perfectly reflected in the water.




Making good time in calm conditions, I approach the landing of camp 9 at 9:30 a.m., having travelled seven km, including the 150 metre portage which needed about half hour of clearing.


The canoe is parked about 10 metres from the landing, beside the trail to camp.  The two grub barrels are standing next to the canoe.

Later in the day, down the shore about 20 metres from the landing, I build a stone dock to make it easier to fetch water.



Before tromping on the tent site, I pick fireweed salad greens.




Some of the 13 very tall dead aspen are visible that I felled near the tent site for safety reasons.


Soon after landing I dig a firepit to start a fire to shoo blackflies.  Midafternoon I erect the Bug Tent because the bugs are very bothersome.


June 23, 26°C, sitting in the Bug Tent, no clothes on after having a bath, while eating supper.  I have quite a few blackfly bites all over my body ... buggers.








June 24 at 6:25 a.m. in the Bug Tent because bugs are so bad (blackflies, mosquitoes, sandflies).  Prepare and then eat breakfast cinnamon bannock in the Bug Tent.  Sky very cloudy and threatening rain.  The large pot of boiled water beside the fire is keeping warm for washing dishes.


There is a protected spot under spruce trees beside the Tarp shelter where I store the pots of boiled water.


June 24, thunder clouds roll all around me before finally releasing a downpour by midmorning.  I make a teepee of firewood to protect and keep the fire alive.










June 25 at 8:25 a.m., all set to launder some clothes.  Laundry is hanging on clothesline by 10 a.m. and equipment laid out to dry.  Luckily most of the laundry is dry by 2 p.m. when heavy rain starts yet again.



A second firepit dug closer the Tarp shelter proves helpful later to dry the remaining still damp laundry.



Both Tilley hats are wearing out after seven years of service.  I had patched them after last season, but after washing, this one needs to be mended (using waxed dental floss).  To help preserve their integrity, I will not wash them any more this trip.  They will need to be replaced before next year.


A blackfly bite on lower and upper eyelids looks worse than it feels.  Not realizing there was a bug there, I clenched my eyelid closed and the bugger bit me hard.



By 2 p.m. June 25, it is raining again and I have a warming fire to help dry some clothes hung beneath the Tarp shelter, and to make supper.



**********************
Summary:
Blackflies, mosquitoes, flies and sandflies are very bothersome, many bites all over my body.  Fell 13 tall dead aspens for safety reasons.  Use Bug Tent much of the time, often unclothed because so hot and humid.  Heavy rain again.  Do laundry, the first in four weeks, managing to dry most of it before more rain.  Description of a "perfect" campsite.  Discussion of washing laundry.  Distance travelled seven km, including a 150 metre portage.


June 23:
Break camp 8 in the company of bothersome mosquitoes.  Luckily I do not have to get out to wade in a shallow spot in the lake where I somehow sneak around and over boulders just below the surface.  Managing to walk past obstructions on a 150 metre portage with the first load, I bring the saw back taking about half hour to cut out some trees fallen over the trail, before carrying the rest of the gear.  Making good time in the calm conditions, I approach camp 9, after travelling seven km including the 150 metre portage, by 9:30 a.m., so consider continuing farther.  However I know that I might not be so lucky on the next portage, plus have to go up some rapids all of which could make for a long day, so decide to stop here.  This is also a good spot to do laundry if the weather holds up.  After unloading and carrying gear the 100 metres inland to camp, I park the canoe about 10 metres from shore with some gear underneath and the two grub barrels beside it.  By 10 a.m. there is a strong wind so am thankful to be camped.  Blackflies are bothersome, especially as I am sweating, so dig a firepit in the sandy soil and make a fire to shoo them away and to boil water.  After erecting the clothesline, I hang all the sleep gear.  There are very tall slender aspens, some dead, so I fell two very close to the tent site.  This time I look before erecting the tent; look twice, erect once.  There are scattered fireweed plants, those where the tent will be I pick before putting it up.  By midday it is 26°C and even with the strong onshore wind the blackflies and flies are bothersome.  I have many bites all over, including under clothing; blackflies are real buggers, getting under clothes at any opportunity and biting anywhere they end up.  After lunch, I erect the Tarp shelter, a bit of a challenge given the sparsity of trees for the lower support rope on one side, so I fasten the extended rope under and over six large poplar logs laid on the ground far enough away and uphill to raise the tarp high enough (visible in the photos above).  With the Tarp, I carry 1/8" rope of various lengths; depending on the situation join some together to make a longer length (two 50', two 25', four 12.5', plus a 6" square of canvas to place on top of a pole if needed to raise the centre of the Tarp).  Because the ridge rope also has to extend a long way, the Tarp is too low on that side (because I can only reach so high up a tree to wrap the rope); tying another rope to the side of the Tarp and to two small birch saplings, problem solved.  This location also requires me to cut a pole to elevate the centre of the Tarp.  In the best setting, I avoid using the pole.  Next I erect the Bug Tent under the Tarp.  Then I fell 11 more quite tall dead aspen, at least 20 metres high and 6-8" diameter, near the tent and Tarp sites.  If one of those falls on the tent it would be game over for tent and for me if in it.  Then time for a much needed bath.  While bathing I pick up stones close to shore to construct a small "dock" to make it easier to fetch water and to do laundry.  Because it is a long hike back to camp, I have to rinse my feet with water from the bailer before getting into the Bug Tent, no clothes on.  It is so nice to cool off with no bugs, but flies and mosquitoes hover all round the screen outside.  I only have to kill a few that came inside with me; thank goodness for the fly swatter.  At 4:30 p.m. it is time to get dressed to make supper.  I get out of the Bug Tent periodically to add more firewood, gathered earlier.  With smoke of fire and my clean body, the blackflies are not too bad for a few minutes outside undressed.  By 5:25 p.m. I am back in the Bug Tent, clothes off, eating supper and continuing to catch up on journal, do some puzzles and read Reader's Digest.  The front half of the Bug Tent is getting too much hot sun, so I am too warm ... but bug free.  In bed, or rather on bed on top of a sheet spread over sleeping bag, by 8:30 p.m..  Sleep well, later with PJ's on, then finally into fleece shell on top of sleeping bag for most of the night.  During the night, it rains.


June 24:
From my journal: "7:15 a.m., 19°C.  Waiting 10 minutes for fresh baked cinnamon bannock to rest.  Up by 5 a.m..  Can hear the nearby river about one km away ... and the whine of mosquitoes one metre away.  Lately have been getting annoying pinprick bites announcing sandflies.  Sitting in Bug Tent, no hat, no long shirt, boots unlaced.  Mix bannock inside Bug Tent.  After arising, only outside to wash eyes/nose, top up canteen and start fire, I set up Bug Tent and place inside all the gear needed (canvas mat for pots, chair, chair towel to sit on, Belt Bags, Lunch Bag, fly swatter, Writing Bag, dishes, utensils, small pot cold boiled water).  When outside to start bannock baking, I fetch big broken poplar wood from trees I felled yesterday.  I also have to exit to check bannock at 10 minutes (but it needs five more minutes).  7:25 a.m., time to eat.  Bring in Dutch oven and hot water pot that have been sitting just outside the door.  It is very cloudy, rained last night, very humid, dead calm, bugs bad (mosquitoes, blackflies, sandflies).  So much for laundry day.  Hopefully tomorrow, although Jeanette's text said good weather till tomorrow; hopefully skips a day.  I sure like the smell of burning poplar, though not the most efficient burning wood.  Warbler singing as he did when I awoke, a pleasant warbling call, half minute of silence, then repeat over and over.  My sweat-damp short shirt that hung overnight on the tent clothesline was still quite clammy this morning; debated getting the dry long T-shirt from Rubber Pack ... but ... shrugged ... and put on the damp shirt.  7:40 a.m., with no long shirt on, the short shirt still damp in this humidity, but have got accustomed to it.  Undershorts damp too, not the most comfortable sitting on the chair.  8:25 a.m., have been doing puzzle book in addition to writing journal entry.  Thunder and lightning nearby but seems to be moving away, so may pass over?  9:25 a.m., do dishes, haul more big firewood.  Several of the aspen I felled are so dry that they break easily when I slam them into the ground.  Can see how a big wind could knock them over.  Wonder how many campers are killed by falling trees, especially on tents.  Back in Bug Tent, no clothes on.  Sweaty, it's so humid, very little breeze.  Warbler still singing.  10:10 a.m., thunder, very cloudy, calm, heavy rain.  Crossword, nap.  Thunder keeps rolling around in the near distance.  10:25 a.m., put more wood on fire.  Get dressed as I'm getting cool.  Bugs as bad as ever.  12:30 p.m., just finished lunch in Bug Tent.  Was going to let fire die in the steady rain, but I got cooled off so build up fire in the rain, teepee style and heat water.  Thought I might need to put on fleece sweater but so far so good.  Rain just stopped?  1:10 p.m., Reader's Digest, sudoku.  Nap!  2:35 p.m., crossword, puzzle book.  Bum getting sore sitting.  Time rekindle fire, pick fireweed salad, fetch more big wood.  3:45 p.m., 21°C, some sunshine, a bit of blue sky.  Get supper food out, hot water close to fire to keep hot, fetch aliquot of butter from my moss 'fridge'.  Mosquitoes quite bothersome though not as bad as earlier.  4:40 p.m., sunshine comes and goes as grey clouds let it.  Eating supper in Bug Tent, no shirts on (hanging on Tarp shelter ridge rope with hat to possibly dry a bit).  A large raven flies over, with a rush of air through its wings, and 'craaawks', in surprise at me below.  5:50 p.m., puzzle book.  Time do teeth and dishes.  6:30 p.m., fresh large pot raw water on to boil.  In Bug Tent, boots and socks off, feet resting on boots turned on sides, no shirts on, pants unbuckled.  Got sweaty doing chores.  7:15 p.m., puzzle book.  Going to pack up Bug Tent, Rubber Pack to take to tent, top up water in smaller pots from large pot boiled water, seal Kitchen Barrel [with clamp "locked" with curved metal strip].  First have to get dressed.  Added from journal next day: "To bed by 8:30 p.m..  Then remember I forgot to seal the Kitchen Barrel.  Aie!  Dressed in P.J. socks, undershorts, I slip on boots to go do that.  Aie!  On return to tent, do the usual dance around the tent to rid myself of any bugs.  Sleep okay, but dream lots."


Description of a "perfect" campsite:
While in the Bug Tent throughout the day I start a description of a "perfect" campsite (in addition to writing my journal, reading Reader's Digest, doing crosswords, sudokus, other puzzles ... and napping).  The most important items that I check when deciding on a campsite are indicated by "*".  I have never had a "perfect" campsite and do not expect it, but have never had a "bad" site, just some less good than others.  The site is what you make of it.
- remote
- scenic
- *shelter from wind all directions
- *fireplace and Tarp shelter spot(s) sheltered from wind all directions even if requires using separate areas occasionally, facing east for sunshine in morning and shaded from west in afternoon
- *level soft location for separate tent sites (for nylon tent in warm weather, for canvas Tent in foul weather) with no overhanging dead trees, facing east for sunshine in morning and shaded from west in afternoon  (I often have nylon tent up, then it rains and I erect the canvas Tent.)
- *safe short access to water (within 50 metres) for drinking, cooking, bathing
- lots of available tinder, kindling, firewood
- areas for good sunshine but also shade (to permit moving as required)
- few biting bugs
- bathing spot with clean footing in water and on shore (bare rock, gravel or sand)
- in season, good supply of edible greens, berries, mushrooms
- good access to fishing
- open shaded breezy spot to use as necessary in hot weather


June 25 Thursday:
From my journal: "Up by 5 a.m., 17°C, dead calm, misty, overcast, humid, mosquitoes bothersome.  Dig a second firepit closer to Tarp shelter to provide more warmth underneath, especially if it rains again.  Sitting for breakfast under the front edge of Tarp near the new fire, hopefully the smoke will help deter the buggers a bit.  Plan to do laundry.  Gray jays murmur nearby.  My warbler is back to singing again; last evening he sang for hours.  Mosquitoes bothersome but no other bugs so livable.  After breakfast, change to some clean clothes - hat, heavy socks, undershorts, short shirt, handkerchief, bandana; place clean PJ's in tent.  Sure feels good.  Hang sleepgear on clothesline.  I am not going to wash long shirt and jeans; will change them to clean ones at the 1/3 mark recorded in my calendar (37 days, two days beyond five weeks).  We (I and my clothes) are only at the 25 day mark.  There are three changes of outdoor clothes, each set includes three pairs of heavy socks so I always have dry socks available; the outer clothes will have to wait to get washed at home; they are 'clean' on the inside ... well 'clean enough'.  By 7 a.m., it is 20°C, moderate wind, sunny with some white cumulus.  Takes two hours to do the two loads of laundry.  Mosquitoes bothersome at the stone 'dock' which is in the shade.  Two loons swim nearby to greet me.  I talk to them 'How you doin?' at which they duck under the water to appear far away, their curiosity satisfied.  By 11:15, eating lunch, sitting in the shade of the Tarp shelter and the spruce copse beside it, short shirt pulled out of jeans, no hat, boots unlaced ... aah ... feels good, especially wearing clean underclothes.  Just a few flies bugging me; got the fly swatter out and they seem to have got the message and disappeared.  Sliced a finger on the edge of one of the barrel clamps, so will be careful.  Have been putting Polysporin® [Triple Ointment antibiotic] on that plus the split skin on my thumb (no bandage now).  Keep small fire going all morning, but will let it die now after lunch.  Aliquot grub for next week, the fifth week, into the Kitchen Barrel from the Food Pack that carries the supplies not fitting in the three barrels.  Because I hope to leave tomorrow, place the Food Pack and the Laundry Pail under the canoe.  Then have a wonderful bath and sit in Bug Tent, no clothes on.  Starts to rain again at 2 p.m., thunder, 22°C; rains on and off, half sky blue, half dark clouds.  Got laundry and sleep gear off clothesline and packed away just before the rain, all dry except for the heavy socks.  Thankful that it was a nice day until now, and got laundry done, the first in four weeks.  Plan to leave tomorrow so ask gods if possible to hold off on rain till next campsite, even better if till after camp set up.  Still about one week of food left in Food Pack that might fit in Kitchen Barrel but will wait till end of next week.  String a clothesline under Tarp shelter to hang the four laundered damp socks, plus bath towel, hat, long shirt.  Sew just washed Tilley® hat in four places, one 15 cm long hole; it's definitely falling apart.  The other hat is wearing out also so hopefully between the two will make it to end of trip.  Should have replaced before this trip but was hoping would last this season.  3:30 p.m., getting bright sun in Bug Tent through the clouds 'there' while it pours rain 'here'.  Have to move chair forward as some rain splashes through the back of the Tent.  Continues intermittent rain through supper, mosquitoes bothersome outside.  My warbler continues singing.  Do the usual pre-packing.  Look in compass mirror because my eye is bothering me; there is a big bruise on lower and upper eyelid.  Looks like I got bit both spots ... by a blackfly?  It is swollen.  I remember when doing laundry that something bothered my eye so I closed the lid hard which would be when the bug bit in both places as I was attacking (pinching) her.  Aie!  At least it looks worse than it feels."  From tomorrow's journal entry: "In bed by 8 p.m., raining in earnest now, and rains all night."


Discussion of washing laundry:
In the above instance I did two loads of laundry, both with the same half teaspoon of granular 'Tide®' detergent in 23 litres water, the less dirty clothes first (cotton PJ's: undershorts, socks, long underwear top and bottom; pillowcase, undershorts, handkerchief, bandana).  The second load was short shirt, chair towel, hat, two pairs heavy socks.  If I was washing long shirt and jeans, that would be two extra loads, a lot more work and they take much longer to dry.  This year so far I am not at all confident in the weather to dry the heavier clothes.  If I had the stove and canvas Tent that would not be a problem.  Each load gets plunged (with a toilet plunger that aerates well) for six minutes (120 count x3), actually counting to myself to keep track.  First I plunge the soap added to the water to mix for four minutes (120 count x2).  Then four minutes for rinse loads, five rinses of fresh water for first load, four rinses for second.  At every count of 30 I switch hands; both I and the laundry get a good workout.  After each rinse, I wring the clothes out, placing them on the medium tarp.  Then dip fresh water into the pail and repeat.  When the first load is done, I carry the clothes in the pail the 100 metres to camp to hang on the clothesline in the sun and wind.  I found out the hard way, more is not better for the amount of soap, better to err on the side of less than too much; I had the allergic itchy rash after the first time to prove it.  The degree of rinsing required can be judged by the amount of soapy water left in the rinse water when wringing each piece of clothing into the pail.  Hence in the above wash, I found the first load needed one more rinse than the second.  It is also safer to rinse those clothes that are worn closer to the skin extra carefully.  However, the opaqueness of the rinse water is not a good indicator as colour does bleed from washed clothes, plus the lake water is not usually clear itself.  Like anything else, it takes practice and experience.  I use a 23 litre (five Imperial gallon) pail which is harder to come by, as most new pails are only 19 litres (five US gallons).  It is impossible to wash as many clothes in the smaller pail because they will not be rinsed adequately.  Waste water is dumped on ground away from the lake so the soap is filtered in the soil.  When I first started washing clothes this way, I used a vintage plunger purchased at an antique store, a copper "Leeds Eclipse posser or dolly" manufactured in England circa 1900, definitely my oldest piece of equipment.  However, I found a modern corrugated plastic toilet plunger to be as effective, but lighter, two piece to fit easily for carrying in the Laundry Pail ("PlumbShop® PS6161 Toilet Plunger").