Central Saskatchewan 2022 Camp 9 (Jun 29 - 30)

June 29 sunrise at camp 8 (04:23).


Canoe ready for loading at camp 8's new portage lower landing, but only after clearing even more brush to give safer access to tie parallel to shore.


A small fire feels good on this cool morning as I bring the last of the gear to the first fireplace site to take to the canoe.




About one km down the lake I near the shoal where my pelicans have been spending their time away from the falls.





Stopping for breakfast at a small island below the pelicans' roosting area.





Heading down the lake, I check multiple locations for possible campsites before camping where I stayed in 2018, giving up on finding a more sheltered spot.  I have travelled 14 km, two km extra checking several small islands.  Cloudy skies have looked threatening most of the day.






The tent site is well protected but not so the fireplace and Tarp shelter.  After rerigging the Tarp to face away from onshore wind, I place heavy poles on the lower ropes to close the back "door" against wind.




On June 30 I set up a hot shower welcoming the warming fire close by to help counter the effects of the strong wind which causes wood to burn too quickly.


Dressed again after my shower, a refreshed happy guy.


Cremating a pair of worn out socks, after being patched at least twice.



Looking back to camp from a nearby small peninsula (lower photo) where I catch one small pike after walking to the point through the bush.




The view down the lake to some of the islands I checked as possible campsites.  The very strong wind keeps blowing in dark ominous-looking clouds.


Salad of birch and alder leaves, spruce buds, pink rose petals and white bunchberry bracts.  The latter look like flowers but the real flowers are the tiny groups in the centre of the bracts which will later become orange edible berries.



**********************
Summary:
Travel 14 km, two km extra unsuccessfully checking several small islands for a more sheltered campsite.  Very strong constant wind forces me to rerig the Tarp shelter and use heavy poles to close the back "door".  Have a hot shower, the bag suspended in a tree directly beside the campfire, a first.  Work hard to catch two small pike for supper.


June 29:
Up to a cool day, a small fire feels good as I prepare to move on.  I had cleared a trail to a new launching spot near the first fireplace.  However I soon realize when I set the canoe into the water that it will not be easy or safe to load tied only by the stern.  After trimming out a big pile of alder and birch brush, which I have to carry up the trail to throw it out of the way, I tie the canoe parallel to shore.  The 30 minutes spent is definitely worth it.  As I head past four pelicans standing at their usual spot on a shoal down the lake, they swim slowly away not taking any chances with this interloper.  Stopping shortly after at the first small island, I eat breakfast, hassled by two noisy crows in a panic with my presence.  It would be possible to camp here and I might do so on my return although it might be too exposed; fishing from shore would be less reliable but there is more firewood and less likelihood of a bear encounter.  It is the site of a quite old fishing camp so there is some garbage but would be tolerable.  Luckily there is a strong quartering tailwind most of the day except for a one km stretch around a long peninsula.  Paddling hard to round the point I check multiple islands for a better campsite but end up having to go to a large isle where I camped previously that is too exposed if there is a strong wind.  From my journal: "Was thinking one of the isles was a 'good' site but must be thinking of some other island, some other lake, some other trip.  Can't for the life of me remember where."  Along my way I see several bald eagles and a family of small ducklings but no mother.  When I land at the new camp the wind is from a favourable direction so I erect the Tarp shelter facing the lake.  However the wind soon changes direction and it starts to rain just as I am putting up the nylon tent, getting the inner tent a bit wet, as do the packs sitting outside.  After the tent is up and packs stored I shift the Tarp to face inland away from the wind, a great improvement.  Rerigging is a pain, but I drop the support ropes and turn the Tarp 180° so I do not have to restring the ropes.  The wind increases in strength so I fetch two long poles to weigh down the lower ropes, effectively closing the "back" door to most of the cold wind.  Eating a hot supper under the shelter is relatively comfortable.  I had thought to try fishing but by the time I switch the Tarp and tie the barrels I say POI.  Before carrying barrel 2 to its storage spot, I take out next week's grub and transfer to the Kitchen Barrel, a task that cannot be done on a tied barrel.  Camp 9 is 12 km from the previous camp plus I travelled an extra two km unsuccessfully searching for a better campsite.  My bed proves to be unlevel and uncomfortable.


June 30:
On arising at 05:30 to the cheery call of a red squirrel, the sky visible from camp is clear blue at 10°C; I cannot see the sky behind camp for the steep tree-covered hill.  In a short while a very strong wind heralds in ominous grey clouds.  A flock of migrating Canada geese flying high against the backdrop of clouds presents an awesome sight.  Two gray jays flit silently through the trees at camp.  A duck lands in the small sheltered bay beside camp and stays for some time quacking away to itself.  From my journal: "As the duck flies past I was just thinking I hope I don't have to fire the shotgun; my right shoulder might hurt badly afterwards."  After breakfast of hot bannock, I boil water to mix with cold in the shower bag which I hang in a jack pine tree right beside the fireplace, a first I think, welcome support against the cold wind.  Because of the strong wind the only suitable place to fish is in the small bay on the lee shore, a 100 metre walk through the bush.  I take the pruners with me to clear an easier path.  After several different lures and many casts along the length of the shore I finally catch a small 14" pike.  Then I walk towards a deeper bay on the other side of camp about 500 metres away, fishing in multiple spots along the way before catching another 14" pike.  This walk is more difficult along the quite steep shore where I wind in and out around trees and clamber up the slope.  I have to work hard for these two fish but the tasty chowder makes the effort worthwhile, eaten under the shelter with the wind still blowing and gusting strongly.  Trying different ways to situate the bed, it is still uncomfortable.