Central Saskatchewan 2016 Camp 10 (Jun 11 - 12)





Remained cloudy and threatening rain all day.



Lunch break before I tackle the waterway to my next portage.  I had decided to head a different direction than planned so I would do a circle route ... IF ... I could navigate up "beaver creeks" and portage between several lakes and down a river.













Going up the creek I had to go over numerous small beaver dams and portage a larger dam one metre high.  That portage was only 10 metres long, but wet.  By this time I had poled, paddled, waded, pushed, pulled, lifted, lined, towed the canoe up the one km section of creek, but thankfully had not had to unload.  Aie!  Portages are a great deal of work; going up or down a "beaver creek" is doubly so.  After progressing one km up the creek, I had to clear an 800 metre long portage along the very rocky creek bed.  The younger me would have kept going ... but I was younger then than now.




















Camp 10, after travelling 11 km, including one km of "beaver" creek and two portages (10 and 800 metres).  Time to stop!  The shortest stop I made all season was two days, one to travel and one to rest.  At Camp 10 I also walked several kilometres farther up the scenic creek valley, mostly on an old game trail thinking there might be a path to the next lake.  I stopped when the trail veered away from my preferred direction.  The fireplace has a big pile of wood on it because it rained quite a bit.  No matter how hard it rains or how wet the wood is, once a fire is burning well it will stay live if lots of wood is piled on top for protection.
A float plane.  Because of the fly-in fishing camps, I frequently saw float planes.