Central Saskatchewan 2016 Camp 16 (Jul 2 - 5)























I portage around three rapids (250, 250 and 150 metres long) and run a 100 metre rapid in the middle, finally ending in the target lake.  The first trail was that cut at the previous camp, and the other two required a significant amount of clearing.  It had been many years since these trails were last used.








Camp 16, after travelling eight km, including three portages (250, 250, 150 metres) and the 100 metre rapid.  The wet weather finally prompted me to erect the canvas tent to dry clothes and sleep gear.





A well used otter play area with a pile of fish scales.  I followed the very defined otter trail for about one km until I gave up.  It obviously is used by generation after generation of otters.   They do cross land between water bodies.  I once followed a three km trail between two bodies of water.





Cattail shoots for supper, the inside tender bottom portion diced and flavoured with lemon pepper seasoning.



During my May to July trip, on different lakes, I met some really nice people who fly in by float plane to stay at fishing lodges.  The two long canoe thwarts had popped out because the manufacturer had used rivets through just one thickness of the gunwale, which after years of wear, gave way.  I thought I would have to wait until the trip was done to make a fix.  The lodge on this lake had tools and hardware to make permanent repairs, much better than the original.  Thanks to the Longworth family for their help.