Central Saskatchewan 2016 Camp 14 (Jun 23 - 28)

 Before

 After
After portaging and having lunch, I canoed to the closest of two likely spots I identified on the map to portage to the next waterway.  Yeah, found it!  There was an old trail that needed extensive clearing.  (Above photos show one section before and after.).  Two hours later, my younger self was saying to continue travelling across the 360 metre portage, but when it started raining my older self said not to be silly.  I canoed back to the last portage to set up camp, after checking several other possible sites.






 
Camp 14, after travelling four km, including two km to clear the next portage, and two portages (30, 870 metres).  It continued raining while I set up camp. 


 
Pretty flowers of common pink wintergreen.





The rain kept up, so later I put up the canvas tent and stove.  My hands are stained with pitch from spruce trees felled and limbed to erect the tent.  I use the boughs to make a floor for the tarp shelter and for the doorway of the tent.



Wild red currant.  Very tasty.  I picked three cups to be eaten with evening meals.