East Central Saskatchewan 2016 Camp 35 (Aug31-Sep1)

Early morning sunrise.  I have asked the rain gods to hold off on precipitation until I get my next camp set up if possible.


This portage that I cleared yesterday is a long 1300 metres.  I carry all the gear and the canoe the first 300 metres past the boggy section so that if I get wet feet, I can change socks and carry on with the dry portion of the trail.  My corduroy bridges were good enough to keep my boots out of deep water and mud so I did not need new socks.


Rosehips are ripe enough to eat and I pop some in my mouth on the walk back for another load.  I had enough lingonberries and bunchberries picked that I did not need any more fruit for mealtime.


I think the portage takes advantage of a game trail which can be seen here passing under the overhanging alder branches which I skirt.  Sometimes animals use a portage as their path, but this time it is the other way around.


I tried to stoop enough to take the canoe under this big tree that I limbed instead of sawing it through, but I had to set the canoe down and drag it underneath.


Finally, all the gear is at the upper end of the portage.  There is no good place to eat lunch so I canoe out on the small lake and stop at a better spot.







Camp 35, having travelled 8 km, four of which I spent unsuccessfully looking for the next portage, and to find a campsite, and the 1300 metre portage.  Like many of my campsites this year, this one is up a steep 60° slope.  I checked at least four other spots along the shore before selecting this one as the most suitable.  Have to be careful at the lakeshore, especially in rainy weather, not to slip in when fetching water.