Central Saskatchewan 2016 Camp 7 (May 30 - Jun 1)



Portage 5 was an easy 100 metre trail as I could walk up the side of the rapid with no clearing required.  The right hand side was too shallow to line the canoe, and the left side too fast.   I had already waded and lined 50 metres up a previous rapid.






Camp 7, after travelling 15 km, including wading 50 metres, portaging 100 metres, and two km searching for a campsite.

Old birch bark as a mat in the entrance of my tent on the damp ground.




Forest fire had burned the moss.  I dug a hole to place the cooler and covered it with leafy branches cut from the space for the tent.




There was no easy access to the river for water, so I tethered the canoe to a willow bush and pushed the boat out.  Then I walked out in the canoe to fetch water.






More rain.  I canoed to the next rapids to find and clear the portage.  Because of the recent forest fire, it took me a while to find the location of the old trail. 



Wild strawberry plants in bloom.






From my camp, I walked upstream along the rapids which turn at a right angle below the portage on the other side.  The last photo shows the spot where I took a bath.  I am always careful bathing when it is a rocky bottom, wearing rubber Crocs™ shoes and crouching low to brace myself.  Falling and hitting my head would not be good.