Central Saskatchewan 2016 Camp 18 (Jul 8 - 12)









Leaving Camp 17.  The plan is to stop at the first good campsite where I can dry out and do laundry.






Camp 18, after travelling seven km, including two extra km searching for a campsite.

 
More duct tape repair.  Portaging is especially hard on the gun, and the rear sight would not stay in position.  A permanent fix would have to wait until returning home.




I started cutting a trail out from the tent, but had to run away when I interfered with an underground wasp nest.    Luckily I did not get bitten, as I have in the past.  A trail had to be made in a different location.



Common harebell ("bluebell").  The leaves and shoots are edible, but generally there are too few plants, so better to admire the pretty flowers instead.



Wild Mint.  I love the smell.


In order to dry my bedding, I erected the canvas tent and stove.











I canoed to this grassy island to pick some fireweed, but was pleasantly surprised to find northern gooseberry and rhubarb plants which I picked to supplement my evening meals.  The gooseberries were good eating as is, and the stewed rhubarb was delicious with added sugar.













There were remains of a log cabin and a barrel stove.  The junk pile had several interesting very old containers.  It is interesting that garbage becomes admired artefact as it ages.  I later met a Cree lady whose family once lived here.  Thanks to Hazel for giving me a very tasty freshly smoked whitefish.