Central Saskatchewan 2016 Camp 22 (Jul 20 - 22)



Early morning sunrise thankfully revealed a clearing sky and decreased winds after yesterday evening's gale, lightning and rain that saw me going to bed early because the fireplace and tarp shelter were too exposed.




Unfortunately in the storm, after I went to the tent, the tarp shelter was almost ripped in half.  My fault as I should have weighted down the windward side with rocks like I had done earlier when the first thunderstorm rolled through.  I thought that was the end of the worst weather, but the next storm was even stronger.  Usually the supporting pole under the tarp falls down in heavy winds but in this case it wedged near the edge of the tarp and there was too much pressure as the wind continued.  Aie!  Duct tape to the rescue.  However the tape failed later on and I had to use the smaller tarp I carry in my Personal Pack.

Throughout the day as I canoed, as far as I could see, were bare trees from forest fires that occurred within the past few years.








I always see many bald eagles when canoeing in the north.  Here was a nest that I canoed quite near and, because there must have been a youngster in it, the adults stayed close by, including one parent who landed in the nest for a few minutes before taking off, while the mate watched from a nearby tree.  Note that the entire small island was burned.  The nest survived to be used again, but its days are numbered.  Hopefully the tree will fall when the nest is not occupied.







The old fireplace indicates there was a campsite at this location.  It will take many years before a camp will be made here again.  It is now an excellent spot for berries.  I ate several cups of the soft raspberries on the spot, picked some fireweed, and harvested six cups of blueberries. 





Camp 22, after canoeing 16 km.  In order to get enough drying sunshine, I had to take my laundry across to the other side of the bay.