Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 16 (Jul 13 -14)

On leaving Camp 15, I take a three metre pole with me in case I need it to get through the narrow winding channel that connects to yet another small unnamed lake.  By paddling back and forth and rocking the canoe I manage to work my way around the sharp turns.  Finally I can abandon the pole without having to use it.




This lake has a creek emptying it midway along its side so I canoe near the creek to make sure there is no portage there.  The topographic map shows many contour lines jammed close together beside this creek, indicating steep cliffs, hence I do not think there would likely be a trail there.  The creek is overgrown with brush and is quite steep in its descent indicated by contour lines crossing the creek.  Then I canoe to the end of the lake where the contour lines indicate a low valley connecting to the ultimate target, a large river with many rapids.  On landing I find an established portage.  As with many portage trails, this one is not obvious until I walk on shore to check.  Yeah!  Perhaps I am done with cutting portages?

The 700 metre portage needs very little clearing and is relatively smooth and level.  Yeah again!  The wind is creating waves moving upstream on this long river.  I have successfully managed to canoe and portage across country to reach the river to which most canoeists fly in.  While on the river over the next week I am passed by two different groups of six and eight canoeists, with three and four canoes respectively. They were transported by float plane to the source lake above rapid #1 just upstream from my portage.  Originally I thought I would have enough time to canoe upstream to the lake but I am a bit challenged for time so continue downstream.


My lunch stop downstream on the river.

Approaching rapid #2 which is just around the corner.



Camp 16, six km from the previous camp with two portages, 700 and 180 metres.  My camp is on the latter portage, the tent 2/3 of the way along the trail, off to the side in the open spruce bush with a thick layer of moss and several large red squirrel middens.  The preexisting fireplace is at the upper end of the portage.  This is the first time in a very long time that I have camped at such an "established" campsite.

The rapids beside the portage looking downstream.


The rapids upstream.

My first walleye this year, a really nice catch caught from shore at the rapids.  A nice feast, two full frypans for supper.  It has been two months since I started my trip and I am hungry enough to eat two meals worth of walleye in one sitting.  Especially so I think because of all the portage clearing and carrying.  The flesh melts in my mouth ... mmm good!  A very nice change from pike.  The next day I only catch three walleye because I am not quite as hungry.  I always give thanks for the animals that provide me with food.