East Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 27 (Aug 2-3)



Early morning between 5:16 and 5:31 am at camp 26.


After the first portage, I canoe up a meandering river, sometimes switching back in the direction from which I just came.  Occasionally there are fallen trees but thankfully none long enough to block the river.


A beaver scent mound that marks territory and identifies the individual.








Continuing upstream, I reach the next portage 150 metres long and in good condition.  It lies beside rapids on the river with an old beaver dam.  Just as I approach the trail, a family of several otters crosses the path.

A minor rapid that I am able to paddle and pole up after a few attempts to get in just the correct spot to squeeze the canoe through between boulders.

The next set of rapids on the river, marking its exit from the large lake it empties.


After walking to the upper end of the portage I see that I have to cut out one tree and may have to wade up the river to get past the rock cliff.  So I call it a day but have to canoe an extra one km to look for a campsite.

Mosquitoes are quite bothersome but the bug tent makes for comfortable meal and rest times.  For some reason, despite a light breeze and a sunny day, mosquitoes are even bad out in the middle of the lake.  This trip I use a very robust bigger tarp, 10' x 14'.  At first I think it will be too large, but it shows me how much more comfortable camp is with the larger tarp shelter.  The bug tent completely fits under, still leaving a large space for gear.  Last trip I had to use my smaller 8' x 10' tarp when the 10' x 12' white tarp broke.


Camp 27, a very good site on a small lake, 12 km from previous camp and 13 km travelled, with two portages 230 and 150 metres long.

A beaver swims past my camp, going back and forth several times to check me out.