Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 6 (Jun 6 - 7)



Camp 6, 10 km travel with my first long portage of 1180 metres, which requires one hour of clearing.  First, I stop at two other spots to check for a campsite.

While eating supper one evening in the bug tent I hear a loud "crack", followed a few minutes later by another "crack" in the small streambed off to the side of camp.  Shortly after, a black bear appears about 30 metres away, mostly hidden by trees and brush.  He sits on his haunches while I sit on mine, both staring at each other.  I don some clothes.  (I was relaxing after getting all sweaty over the fire.)  As soon as I get up he fades off into the bush and I do not see or hear him again.  I put extra wood on the fire, not that it repels bears, but makes me feel better.  Like many good campsites, there is a bear trail through camp, close to water, a nice spot, for both me and bears.  I remind myself that most times I would not realize that a bear came close to camp, but it does not quell the anxiety.

This is a good campsite but there are many anthills so have to be careful where to place tent and tarp shelter.  I have to be aware not to stand still in the wrong spot as ants would soon climb all over my boots and up my legs.  There is nothing like "ants in the pants" to make one drop drawers to get rid of a biting ant.


There are dozens of these little "hoppers".  These bugs plus mosquitoes, blackflies and flies are quite bothersome.  I have blackfly bites all over; they really go for my ears.

Abundant poisonous false morels.