East Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 41 (Sep 3-4)

September 3 at 5:41 am, camp 40 and it sure looks like it will rain.
6.25 am.

Load covered with tarp and ready to shove off at 6:25 am.










I canoe in minor rapids and fast current, past rapids joining the channel from where I just travelled.  Where the rapids join the "lake", I have to paddle very hard to get through the eddy which is moving backwards, ironic as I am heading downstream.  There are eddies and whirlpools all across the channel as the very fast moving water from the rapids hits the slower current.

At a small island I stop for a break.  Because it is a very good site and the weather continues to threaten rain, I decide to set up camp early.  It will also be a great spot for doing laundry.







As usual, especially because of impending rain, I set up the tent first after I park the canoe.  It starts to rain while erecting the tent, and continues on and off all day as thunderstorms pass through, blown by strong gusty winds.  I am sure glad I decided to stop for the day.  Three rain showers are very heavy and I run back to the tent for shelter until I get the tarp set up.


The usual gear is stored under the canoe, and the remaining gear covered with a tarp.










During supper at 6:45 pm, I am seated under the tarp shelter.  From my journal, "The most awesome thing.  I looked directly across channel and sitting on his haunches on a big rock face is a gray wolf staring at me.  He then got up and walked about 10 metres and lay down where he is now watching me.  Neat!  Sometimes as he's laying there, his head is up, and other times it's resting on his front paws.  Oh ... he just got up and left.  Wonder how long he was there before I saw him.  Oh ... I see him down the shore about 30 metres around the bend.  Oh ... he walked off again.  Never got a photo of him standing.  Tall and lanky, grey variegated pelage.  He came back and was standing looking at me.  I got up to put wood on fire which is about eight metres to my left and close to shore and he loped off into the bush.  I think he's gone now."


Moonrise at 7:43 pm on September 3.

Camp 41, 12 km travelled, with minor rapids and fast current all the way.  Checking for the once weekly text message on my satellite phone from Jeanette, I learn there is an open fire ban in Saskatchewan.  Luckily I am in Manitoba.



Three small pike caught from shore after persistent effort.  With small fish like this I often cube the flesh to make a chowder with potato flakes and chicken soup mix.  Mmm good.



On September 4, I do a much needed laundry.  A clean change of clothes ... nice.  Jeans and heavy socks always the last items to dry.


By this point in my trip, I have had to move my belt tighter by four notches.  I am hungry for meals and "could eat a jackass stuffed with firecrackers", but on checking my weight when I get home I have only lost the usual four kg.





The wolf does not come back for a second visit.

Sunset.



Moonrise finally clearly visible, September 4 at 7:42 pm.


A pair of  laundered socks dry by the evening fire.