East Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 36 (Aug 22-23)

After getting up at 4 am, the following photos show the breaking of camp from the first lighting of the campfire, through to an empty camp.

5:16 am, soon after lighting the campfire.
5:20 am
5:24 am
5:28 am
5:31 am
5:33 am
5:38 am
5:57 am, taking down the tent.
6:09 am, removing the tarp shelter.
6:11 am, pulling the canoe from its parking spot, after carrying the gear underneath it, up the cliff.
6:14 am, the canoe carried up the lower part of the cliff as far as possible.
6:15 am, the canoe pulled up to the top of the cliff.
6:17 am, most of the gear carried to the top.
6:18 am, an almost empty camp.
6:33 am, aah ... it is good to sit down.
6:34 am, finishing breakfast.
7:01 am, fire burned down to embers.
7:02 am, fire extinguished.
8:07 am, empty camp and I can now start carrying the portage loads.

7:18 am, mist over the falls looking upstream from the portage trail.

8:36 am, the base of the rapids below the falls after shoving off with the loaded canoe.

8:37 am, downstream from the falls.

8:41 am, the head of the next rapids.  I stop to doublecheck the route down the rapids by walking along the shore for a second time.

8:57 am, the view up the rapids just run.  Luckily I have my wading gear on as the canoe grounded on a boulder when I miss my mark.  It is hard getting the canoe free and stay out of the deep water above my waist.  It is one thing to visualize where I will go and what I will do, but another when in the rapids.

8:58 am, heading down the river which is widening quite a distance.

9:49 am
11:01 am, the next large culvert, under a gravel road.  No way can I canoe through this one.  I stop to have a lunch fire before portaging 75 metres over the road.  I regret not stopping upstream around the corner but there really were no appropriate spots to land.  I am able to find a shady spot out of the hot sun and shielded from the road.  There are dozens of large and small logs floating at the entrance to the culvert.  In order to keep the carry as short as possible I back up to the logs and am able to push them away in one spot so as to park the canoe on shore beside the culvert.

Camp 36, after nine km, two portages 270 and 75 metres, and running one rapid 300 metres long.

There is no birch bark here and poor tinder and kindling, so I saw and split a six inch dry poplar pole.









There has been continuous forest fire smoke for several days now and it gets a bit wearing.