East Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 42 (Sep 5-7)

Sunrise September 5 at 5:47 am.
Sunrise at 5:48 am.
Sunrise at 7:15 am.

Jeans drying on top of canoe load.



A pair of golden eagles.  This is the first time ever that I am positive these are golden eagles because they are adults on their nest, seen in the lowest picture.


Definite signs of autumn.





Sunset September 5 between 7:35 and 7:38 pm.



Heavy smoke persists all the time I am at camp 42.  Blackflies are bothersome because it is so overcast and gloomy, even though there is a continuous very strong wind.  It is ironic that campfire smoke causes them to disperse.








Camp 42, 16 km from last site, plus an extra kilometre searching for a campsite.  I never leave the pole in place holding up the tarp shelter if I will not be close by, after once losing a tarp when a strong wind ripped it over the pole.





Four very nice 20" pike, when filleted, completely filling two small Ziploc™ bags, enough for two meals.  The salad is a mixture of orange bunchberries, red lingonberries, blueberries and fireweed leaves, seed pods and flowers.

A golden eagle from the distant nest.  A bald eagle flew over at the same time but I did not capture them both in the same photo.




My main paddle finally wears through after ten years of prying against the canoe gunwale.  Now I have confirmation that the shaft is constructed of carbon fibre.  Many layers of duct tape effect a repair, hopefully lasting until the end of the trip.  I stopped using wood paddles long ago as they wear out or break too easily.