Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 9 (Jun 15 - 19)





Very strong headwind makes for tough paddling.  Here I stop for a break, the canoe held in place against a jack pine leaning over the lake.  I probably should have stayed in camp, but I was anxious to get somewhere with mature trees instead of the burned areas.  There have been many days with strong winds this year.  At one point I canoe out of my way to check an island that from a distance looks like a promising campsite.  However exploring the isle for almost one hour shows no good sites.  I decide to continue on to the upper end of the lake and have to paddle like mad to make headway.  In strong winds like this it can be a challenge to maintain course.  If the wind turns the canoe, it can be blown against the shore or far downwind.  Ultimately I canoe an extra three km out of my way to get back on course.  Aie!  My paddle stroke is typically one per second, but when encountering a wind gust I have to double that cadence.  When faced with a big wave I also have to quarter the waves to avoid shipping water over the bow, so have to keep a keen eye when such a wave appears.  By the time I reach the channel emptying another big lake into this large lake I am quite weary.  Definitely ready to stop.

Camp 9, 11 km of paddling plus three kilometres extra checking out a campsite.  I pitch my tent beside a large red squirrel midden.

There are three large squirrel nests in trees at camp from previous summers.  Squirrels spend most of their time otherwise in underground burrows.






My campsite is the spot for someone's camp decades ago.  I always wonder who was there, when, how long they spent, why were they there.

Two pike heads, probably dropped by eagles or by otters.

A winter killed snowshoe hare leg.



The cool wind prompts me to stay close to the fire all one day, burning quite a lot of firewood.

I try to bathe daily.  Here the fire warms me after a cold dip in the lake.


This dry log provides nice big firewood to keep fireplace going.  At this point I have already burned most of the log.

Rain persists and I finally erect the canvas tent and stove.  In hindsight, I should have put it up two days earlier.

This spot is popular with many animals including moose who visited last winter.




I manage to get laundry done but rain forces me to finish drying in the canvas tent.