East Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 38 (Aug 27-28)

A gorgeous sunrise at 5:27 am.
5:32 am.
6:11 am.



Breaking camp 37.

All season due to high water levels there have been islands almost submerged, peninsulas that become islands, shoals completely under water and shorelines with trees in the water.  The wind is very strong all day but it is a tailwind so no complaints.




Sunset at 8:32 pm.

Moonrise at 8:33 pm.
Sunrise at 6:07, August 28.

Camp 38, August 28 at 6:18 am, 22 km travelled, aided by fast current and several minor rapids.

Using the SPOT Satellite Messenger™ to send a message to family contacts that I am "okay", including my location in Google Maps™ with GPS coordinates.  I send such a message daily as soon as I reach a new campsite or from my existing camp first thing in the morning if I am staying in place.




When I walk to the lake one early morning, just past this tree I hear a swoosh of wings directly overhead.  A bald eagle takes off, and right in front of me drops a big fish in the small bay.  It appears to be a partly eaten walleye.  A second eagle cavorts in mid-air around the first eagle and they somersault acrobatics around each other.  I think the second bird is razzing the first about losing breakfast.  An awesome sight.  Too bad the fish did not drop to me.







Sunset August 28 at 8:02 pm.

On August 28, I canoe away from camp to fish, unsuccessfully, and have a very hard paddle to get back against a strong wind.  Strong winds seem to be the norm this year.