Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 19 (Jul 19)

Camp 18 early morning breakfast fire at 4:41 am.

Beautiful sunrise at 4:41 am.








Camp 19, still on the large lake but windbound after canoeing 11 km.  I am only 2-1/2 km from the exit but cannot get any farther.  The last few kilometres is a hard battle not only to make headway against the wind but to keep the canoe from shipping water from big wave crests and to prevent the canoe from turning in a wind gust.  From my journal: "Ship a bit of water occasionally.  I'm able to quarter the waves most of the time.  It's when I hit a wave head on that more likely to get water.  Hard work!"  When I get to a small promontory and try to paddle past, there is no way I can go farther.  All I can do is hold my own and not move forward.  I let the canoe turn back and into the lee of the point.  Having to paddle double time so much makes me weary and very glad to stop.

I stop at 1:30 pm and think that perhaps the wind will die and I can move on.  However, by 3 pm I realize I am stuck here and unload the canoe.  There is a big expanse of bare rock so lay all packs to dry.  They are still damp from the rapids and the waves.  In this strong wind everything gets dry.  From my journal: "Falling asleep.  I'm dragging my ass, either need food, rest or I did overdo it a bit today."

Luckily this spot proves to be a decent campsite but much of it exposed to the wind.  In order to have a safe fire I build a sheltered stone fireplace on the moss for my supper meal, then douse it well when done.  I need the fire to cook the pike that I caught at my lunch spot where I also picked some lingonberries and red currants.  The fireplace is two metres from the tent which is on the only level place without going into very thick bush.  After supper the wind switches and would now be a good tailwind if I was canoeing.  I extinguish the fire and move the fireplace rocks to a safer place closer to shore for my morning fire, and to make sure not to encourage someone else to use the first fireplace.