East Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 37 (Aug 24-26)






Another smoky day, this one soon on the Churchill River, where the current and rapids are swift.  I sure am glad I am not going upstream.  Even in the named lakes of the Churchill, the current is very evident.



It is obvious the river flows to the left channel.


What is not obvious, is that the river also flows through a channel on the right hand side.

Not until I get directly in front of the entrance, do I see that there is a strong current on this side also.


The river is overflowing its banks.  This channel in low water years is not navigable.  I have written on the topographical map, that in 1991 Steven and I could not canoe on this side and that it would need at least 2 metres more of depth to do so.  (We were taking a different overall route than I am this year.)  Amazing that the water flow can vary that much.  2017 has a record high level on the Churchill River, a "one-in-100 year" event.



This is a view upstream to the base of quite high rapids that I went through and shipped about 10 litres of water.  There is no chance to take a photo on the upstream side of the rapid as it takes me by surprise when I round a corner.  I probably say a few "aie's" but I am safely through in a flash.

Below the rapids, but still in a strong current, I sponge out as much water as I can.






Soon after the long set of rapids and strong current, I arrive at what becomes my campsite after I check it out.  Later I find two better sites on small islands just another kilometre away.  C'est la vie.  My campsite is up quite high with a steep path from shore of 100 metres, but reasonably well protected from wind.  Camp 37 is 24 km from the previous site canoeing down rapids and fast current, a tie for the farthest distance travelled all summer.  July 20 overall beat this one because it was upstream, included two portages, and was a much longer and wearisome day.


The wind is so strong that I tether the canoe to a tree as it is in a quite exposed place.


Later I tie the canoe with both painters in a way that it cannot blow over and expose the gear stored underneath.


The long steep path up to camp.


There is a strong wind and heavy rain over two days, so I saw lengths of green poplar which will not  not burn too fast.  The smoke also persists until August 26, when I canoe out to explore and catch some fish for supper.  The wind comes up again and I have a struggle to get back to camp against it, but I return with one each of  walleye and pike.







During a torrential rain, the water pours in streams off the tarp shelter.  Camp without such a shelter would be very uncomfortable, and the larger size is definitely proving its worth.