Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 2 (May 27 - 28)


One of the many bald eagle nests on this large lake.  There was a pair of adults at the nest.


Bluebells, an early sign of spring.  The leaves and flowers are edible, but I never see enough to eat.  Better to admire the beauty instead.

Camp 2, after 20 km of paddling into a brisk wind.  I manage to find a sheltered spot for my fireplace and tarp during heavy rains over two days.

The large 10' x 12' white tarp I used at the first camp was not robust enough and two grommets ripped out in the wind.  Lesson learned, strength should outweigh looks.  So I am forced to use my small 8' x 10' tarp which has stout material and strong reinforced construction.  However, the smaller tarp provides much less shelter.  I place spruce boughs on the wet ground under the tarp to provide a comfortable floor.