Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 7 (Jun 8 - 11)


Approaching the creek outlet of this lake.  Once I find the portage, it takes about 30 minutes to clear it, including cutting a new section to avoid water flooding the trail.

When I am loading the canoe at the upper end of the trail, I am careless, and a bit cocky carrying two packs instead of one, and misstep.  The canoe, with me in it, tips sideways and ends up under water, me chest deep.  Aie!  (That was not the word I used though.)  So much for my lecture to myself on properly accessing a canoe.  I set the packs on shore to drain and turn the canoe over to empty the water.  The blackflies are BAD, so I light a small fire nearby to shoo them away, but the heat feels good too.  I take off my clothes and wring them out.  Dry socks help the most.  I open the two packs, using my bath towel to wipe the top exterior of each waterproof bag so that it will not run inside when accessing.  Now I load the canoe, paying attention to what I did wrong ... for the second time this trip!  I cannot remember the last time this happened once, let alone twice.  This is my third stupid already this year.




This year I start using the LifeStraw™ water filter which produces bacteria and parasite free water similar to the Platypus™ system but is used to suck water directly into one's mouth.  It is especially useful on portages after already drinking the two litres of water from my canteens.  I fill a 600 mL bottle with raw water to facilitate easy drinking.  Portages especially have limited access to fresh water, and by the time I carry one load I am sweating and thirsty.  Since carrying two canteens (instead of just one) and using the LifeStraw™ I have not experienced severe leg cramps as often as when failing to drink adequately.

I was going to do my laundry at this spot, but the wind blew in a large amount of tree pollen and my clothes would be pollinated heavily with the yellow stuff.  I have to move up the shore to a better spot.
To get access to clean water and minimize wet feet, I build a small stone dock so I can dip the canvas bucket used to fill the laundry pail.

While doing laundry, two common mergansers, a male and a female, land in the lake directly beside me about two metres away.  They are chased by another male who is not welcome and flies off.  The mates stay close by for a while, perhaps to make sure the competitor is gone.


Camp 7, after eight km of travel including an 150 metre portage.  I had thought to canoe to the end of the lake to find the next portage and a possible campsite, but the wind is against me and I am weary.  It would add two extra hours if I have to come back.

Laundry day proves to be gorgeous weather.  From my journal, "Warbler trilling, crow cawing, flocks of migrating Canada geese honking overhead, aspen leaves rustling in the breeze, rapids rushing downstream in the distance, duck splashing in lake, fire crackling, bumblebee buzzing on her round of pollen gathering, mosquitoes whining ... but on the outside of bug tent, dragonflies darting around after mosquitoes."


Wind-driven rain sets in and the small tarp does not adequately protect the bug tent so I fashion an extended shelter with the damaged white tarp.  I finally erect canvas tent and stove to finish drying laundry as it starts to rain the evening of June 10 and continues all night.

I try to update my journal daily at meal times.



Another way of indicating used bathroom spots.  Especially important when there are two or more people, but avoids surprises when by myself too.