Central Saskatchewan 2017 Camp 21 (Jul 22)

To get away from camp 20, I have to paddle hard for almost one km up the current before I am confident I am out of the grasp of the rapids.  






A swath of trees knocked down in a straight line, evidence of a plough wind.  I sure would not like to be in such a spot when that type of wind comes through.

An example of fast current on the Churchill River that I battle against going upstream.  I have to paddle very VERY hard close to shore to make headway, a tiring battle.  For a few minutes I am concerned that I will not be able to make it.  Finally I can cut over into stiller water around a bend.  It would be terrible if I had to land and cut a portage to get past a place like this.  The water is too deep to wade and there is no room to walk along shore to line the canoe.  Another "minor" rapid ... if going downstream.  If I had paddled mid-stream I do not think I could have made it.


Camp 21, 23 km travelled, a big push today, stopping at the same location as camp 3 so have a ready-made campsite.  I am behind schedule and need to make up time.  There have already been two camps this week of one day each and plan to do two more next week.  It is much preferable to stop for at least two days at each camp, more relaxing and giving more time for chores like fishing.